Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another question about the thermostat (now with pics)

Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another question about the thermostat (now with pics)

So a while back I changed my thermostat because it was leaking, from I don't know where. So I changed it with a mopar one and I thought the leak had gone away, but its back. So oday I have taken it off because I thought I had originally put it in wrong...................
Anyway see I replaced it exactly the same way as the old one, however the new one had an arrow on one of the sides that read TO RAD, but I ignored it I thought it was a fluke or something.
But any way now I want to know which is the correct way of putting it back in..........................................:rotfl mao2:
Here is a picture of how it was installed (note the TO RAD arrow is top left:

Then the side saying TO RAD:

So if I point the arrow towards the RAD (Im guessing towards the front end of the jeep) it will look like this:

So which way is correct?

Last edited by Blackmetal; 03-15-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:28 AM
kik
JK Freak

That's correct. It can only leak from the gasket or the oem hose clamp. Those types of clamps are notorious for leaking when they get old. Replace it with a real clamp. I would replace that top hose also since the old clamp has developed a wear pattern for that hose. Chances are it won't seal right.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

So the first picture is the correct way?
I don't think its leaking from the hose, I may be wrong, I think it coming from the housing since I can see drip stains on it.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 PM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Blackmetal
So the first picture is the correct way?
I don't think its leaking from the hose, I may be wrong, I think it coming from the housing since I can see drip stains on it.
Yep, 1st and 3rd. 2nd also. Brass is down to react to temperature and open thermostat. Drip stains "on" the housing is 99% from the hose. I would replace it and the clamp. Under pressure it will push through.

Quick Reply: Another question about the thermostat (now with pics)