Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Amsoil Question

Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinLH00

I was expecting to be able to walk into a NAPA, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, Carquest, Pep Boys, or something similar and pick it up when I needed it. I really don't have the garage space to store a ton of it and would prefer to not pay shipping, especially something as heavy as oil. But, it seems that Amsoil doesn't sell through these normal retail channels. On their website it provides me the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of people that supposedly supply the stuff, but it must be preferred buyers or vendors. I really am not comfortable going to someone's house to get the oil.

I was hoping that I missed something, but it appears that it is a little tougher to get a hold of in person. Now I am re-thinking my choice of oil so I am not sure what I will do.

Interesting. Quite sure I bought in NAPA.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DustinLH00

I was expecting to be able to walk into a NAPA, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, Carquest, Pep Boys, or something similar and pick it up when I needed it. I really don't have the garage space to store a ton of it and would prefer to not pay shipping, especially something as heavy as oil. But, it seems that Amsoil doesn't sell through these normal retail channels. On their website it provides me the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of people that supposedly supply the stuff, but it must be preferred buyers or vendors. I really am not comfortable going to someone's house to get the oil.

I was hoping that I missed something, but it appears that it is a little tougher to get a hold of in person. Now I am re-thinking my choice of oil so I am not sure what I will do.
Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick

Interesting. Quite sure I bought in NAPA.

Confirming: Just bought six quarters of full synth Amsoil 5W30 at NAPA. ;-)
Old 01-25-2014, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default Know your equipment Know your Oil

Originally Posted by dognights
Amsoil is a very different kind of lubricant then traditional oil. Even most synthetic oil. My first experiences with the product were on track motorcycles. After much local hype from a local supporter(dealer) at the track I gave it a try. It pretty much destroyed my wet clutch in only a few sessions, and after the first weekend using it I flushed the whole system multiple times and had to change out my clutch pack. I set out to figure out why.

This is some of what I found out. Amsoil is much thinner then traditional oils you might use. This has some benefits and drawbacks like anything else. It tends to make your valves sound a bit louder, and has less thermal threshold. Im not talking about the ability of the oil to break down under applied heat I am talking about a reduced ability to transfer thermal dynamics away from parts exposed to the oil. The viscous film created via adhesion is also much less so potential blow by is also increased, while friction is reduced.

Some of the benefits advertised are true. Many times you will see a slight increase in MPG in your ride. Reduced effort upon startup in extreme cold due to thinner properties. Less chance of thermal breakdown of the oil. ETC

Some things they fail to mention thou worth possibly considering. Due to the thinner properties of the oil, there is reduced thermal dynamics to wick heat from components. Again due to the properties of the oil the ability of it to contain and hold outside contaminants is reduced. Again the thinner properties that also reduce friction and wear also support greater blow by of gases and carbon into your crankcase. This has the affect of pressurization of your lower end which can lead to premature oil leaks in that area as well as the introduction of outside elements specifically acids and sulfurs found in fuels that can then damage bearings and such and cannot be suspended in the oil.

Given that most all of our jeeps' are under what is considered heavy load most of the time, I see this only as more of an issue.

Like every product there will be those that swear by something and others that say no way. I just urge anyone as with any product to do their own independant discovery before blindly swallowing the blue pill.

On a little bit of a secondary note I also have somewhat of an issue with the dealer network. The track closest to my house (Moreso). The first dealer to sell Amsoil years ago was homeless and living out of a VW bus. If your product was truely the most innovative best thing on the planet, would you really have a distribution network like that? I am all for supporting local business, but putting blind faith into someone that has no real financial investment into a product that is then responsible to ensure my engine doesnt eat itself doesnt seem like a good method to me.

I personally use Motul in all of my engines now. Proven history of extreme use products.
I don't disagree with your rationale, but first you need to know your equipment and your oil. Running motors in extreme cold I don't think you can find any better protection. I've been out on the frozen lake in -20 and my wheeler is the only one starting. I personally know that Chev. 2.2 motors have hydraulic cam tensioners, and in extreme cold they fail based upon the gell of normal oils and that is another example where full syn will protect you. I also would agree with you about the heat, I don't think I would run Amsoil in extreme heat conditions, I would run conventional and then change it after the extreme heat conditions. Based on the performance and protection I have had with my vehicles, I would say I have not seeing anything better. I started with Mobile one when I worked there in college, once I compared it to Amsoil I found it did not perform quite as good, and it tripped the oil sensor for changing faster than the Amsoil product.

Quick Reply: Amsoil Question