Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Amsoil Question

Old 04-20-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil Question

I have read good things about Amsoil and I am not wanting this to turn into another oil thread or fight, lol

But...for those of you using Amsoil, where do you get it? I looked at their site and their "Find products near you" feature lists a bunch of people's names and email addresses. Do they not carry these products in normal retail channels? Must I contact these independent dealers? Are people selling this out of their homes? lol Or do most of you just order it online from Amsoil directly?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought mine from Auto Value..

Most part stores have it. Ive seen quick oil change places have it as well..
Old 04-22-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default Amsoil

I bought it at Mills Fleet Farm, you have to look but you can find bigger retailers that may carry it. I just put it in my stock 08 JK and I'm now sold on it. We went up to the UP from MN and I was getting 23.4 mpg most of the way. I actually couldn't get better than 21.5 up to then. So with adding mileage and better protection why wouldn't you switch? I started using Amsoil in my Polaris atv years ago because of the cold winter starts and I do alot of ice fishing, after replacing the recoil parts twice I finally got smart.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amsoil likes to support grassroots efforts and distribution. They are dont distribute via chain retailers like pep boys, autozone, etc.

I personally am not a fan myself, but many people are. I would just say becareful is all.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dognights
amsoil likes to support grassroots efforts and distribution. They are dont distribute via chain retailers like pep boys, autozone, etc.

I personally am not a fan myself, but many people are. I would just say becareful is all.
Be careful of what ? Are you speaking of the product or the way its distributed ?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

I have used Amsoil for years in my hot rods, classics, daily drivers and now my jeep. I order it from a local mom and pop distributor.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biggy
Be careful of what ? Are you speaking of the product or the way its distributed ?
Amsoil is a very different kind of lubricant then traditional oil. Even most synthetic oil. My first experiences with the product were on track motorcycles. After much local hype from a local supporter(dealer) at the track I gave it a try. It pretty much destroyed my wet clutch in only a few sessions, and after the first weekend using it I flushed the whole system multiple times and had to change out my clutch pack. I set out to figure out why.

This is some of what I found out. Amsoil is much thinner then traditional oils you might use. This has some benefits and drawbacks like anything else. It tends to make your valves sound a bit louder, and has less thermal threshold. Im not talking about the ability of the oil to break down under applied heat I am talking about a reduced ability to transfer thermal dynamics away from parts exposed to the oil. The viscous film created via adhesion is also much less so potential blow by is also increased, while friction is reduced.

Some of the benefits advertised are true. Many times you will see a slight increase in MPG in your ride. Reduced effort upon startup in extreme cold due to thinner properties. Less chance of thermal breakdown of the oil. ETC

Some things they fail to mention thou worth possibly considering. Due to the thinner properties of the oil, there is reduced thermal dynamics to wick heat from components. Again due to the properties of the oil the ability of it to contain and hold outside contaminants is reduced. Again the thinner properties that also reduce friction and wear also support greater blow by of gases and carbon into your crankcase. This has the affect of pressurization of your lower end which can lead to premature oil leaks in that area as well as the introduction of outside elements specifically acids and sulfurs found in fuels that can then damage bearings and such and cannot be suspended in the oil.

Given that most all of our jeeps' are under what is considered heavy load most of the time, I see this only as more of an issue.

Like every product there will be those that swear by something and others that say no way. I just urge anyone as with any product to do their own independant discovery before blindly swallowing the blue pill.

On a little bit of a secondary note I also have somewhat of an issue with the dealer network. The track closest to my house (Moreso). The first dealer to sell Amsoil years ago was homeless and living out of a VW bus. If your product was truely the most innovative best thing on the planet, would you really have a distribution network like that? I am all for supporting local business, but putting blind faith into someone that has no real financial investment into a product that is then responsible to ensure my engine doesnt eat itself doesnt seem like a good method to me.

I personally use Motul in all of my engines now. Proven history of extreme use products.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

WOW! I knew there was a reason why i wouldn't buy amsoil. I need to know all about any product before i use and wont till i do. My biggest question was here is a product that is suppose to be the best but can't be purchased at any auto part store any where.

Dognights thanks for all the info.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dognights
Amsoil is a very different kind of lubricant then traditional oil. Even most synthetic oil. My first experiences with the product were on track motorcycles. After much local hype from a local supporter(dealer) at the track I gave it a try. It pretty much destroyed my wet clutch in only a few sessions, and after the first weekend using it I flushed the whole system multiple times and had to change out my clutch pack. I set out to figure out why.

This is some of what I found out. Amsoil is much thinner then traditional oils you might use. This has some benefits and drawbacks like anything else. It tends to make your valves sound a bit louder, and has less thermal threshold. Im not talking about the ability of the oil to break down under applied heat I am talking about a reduced ability to transfer thermal dynamics away from parts exposed to the oil. The viscous film created via adhesion is also much less so potential blow by is also increased, while friction is reduced.

Some of the benefits advertised are true. Many times you will see a slight increase in MPG in your ride. Reduced effort upon startup in extreme cold due to thinner properties. Less chance of thermal breakdown of the oil. ETC

Some things they fail to mention thou worth possibly considering. Due to the thinner properties of the oil, there is reduced thermal dynamics to wick heat from components. Again due to the properties of the oil the ability of it to contain and hold outside contaminants is reduced. Again the thinner properties that also reduce friction and wear also support greater blow by of gases and carbon into your crankcase. This has the affect of pressurization of your lower end which can lead to premature oil leaks in that area as well as the introduction of outside elements specifically acids and sulfurs found in fuels that can then damage bearings and such and cannot be suspended in the oil.

Given that most all of our jeeps' are under what is considered heavy load most of the time, I see this only as more of an issue.

Like every product there will be those that swear by something and others that say no way. I just urge anyone as with any product to do their own independant discovery before blindly swallowing the blue pill.

On a little bit of a secondary note I also have somewhat of an issue with the dealer network. The track closest to my house (Moreso). The first dealer to sell Amsoil years ago was homeless and living out of a VW bus. If your product was truely the most innovative best thing on the planet, would you really have a distribution network like that? I am all for supporting local business, but putting blind faith into someone that has no real financial investment into a product that is then responsible to ensure my engine doesnt eat itself doesnt seem like a good method to me.

I personally use Motul in all of my engines now. Proven history of extreme use products.
LOL, thanks for the info. I don't think I will ever get to my first oil change on my '12 JK. I was totally sold on Royal Purple, after hearing so many people rave on here about it. Then I read a thread where someone said that RP was accused of using dino oil and marketing it as synthetic and that they lied about other things. A few other people chimed in and agreed with the statement. A chart was posted that showed the results of oil tests on numerous brands and Amsoil was on top of each chart and the users in the thread seemed to overwhelmingly want Amsoil. Now I decide to go with Amsoil and then I hear this. Maybe I will just go with Mobil 1, or is there some bad crap about them too? So confused on what to do...
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DustinLH00
But...for those of you using Amsoil, where do you get it?
I just order it right from their website. I'm a prefered customer so I use the site to get my discounts.

Quick Reply: Amsoil Question