Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Amsoil hype? Lets find out!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
davison0976,

I can appreciate what you are saying.
My point is, it doesn't matter that an oil shows better 4 ball wear results, because almost any oil will allow an engine to run a long time with very little wear, AMSOIL included. How can one oil be shown to be better than another, when they both afford long, trouble free engine life? It's like each brand features only the tests they did best at, and don't mention that there are brands that did better at some other test. They all average out to be very similar.

I left out the brand I use because I didn't want to appear to be touting that particular brand over any other. I believe any of the well known name brands will give good protection.
I think the reason it looks like you and I are disagreeing, even though we are not, is because we have different definitions of success when it comes to engines and oil. You are saying put any, or almost any, oil in and your engine will run for as long as you own the car, i.e. you'll get into another car well before you'll see any oil related problem. I don't disagree with this and, therefore, your point is well taken and understood. Nevertheless, my definition of success is maintaining an engine as close to a brand new condition as possible in terms of both wear and deposits. It may seem purely emotional, but let's throw some numbers in.

For that I've ran some calculations, see first image below. You'll see that using Amsiol XL vs Castrol GTX, as an example, with 2 oil changes per year will cost $30.75 more. To justify that cost one needs to get gas mileage better by 0.29 mpg. How can I prove you can get a better mileage with synthetic? Well, recently I switched my '99 Explorer Sport (4WD, 2DR) from dyno to synthetic (Quaker State, which is not my favorite, but that's what shop had and I don't really care) and gas mileage improved by over 1 mpg on average with the same general use of the vehicle, see second diagram. By the way, I got this Explorer with well over 100K miles on it and had been using dyno oil being concerned that seals may start leaking if I switch to synthetic. There has been no issues after switching to synthetic at this high mileage. Oil level has remained constant, nothing is leaking. Now imagine if this Explorer was run on a good quality synthetic since day one. It's gas mileage would still likely be close to 17mpg combined (16 city/20 highway as advertized) vs 14.81 average mpg it's getting right now with synthetic. And that would translate into some serious savings on gas, well justifying the cost of synthetic oil. Hence, striving to keep your engine in as close to a brand new condition as possible is economical and gives you higher driving satisfaction due to better performance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture_A.png
Views:	996
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	440060

Name:	Capture_B.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	440061

Last edited by davison0976; 03-29-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo correction, split images on separate lines
Old 05-24-2013, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

Any updates
Old 05-25-2013, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tuto, I am glad you asked my man! Check out the update for the Explorer and MPG log for G37xS and JK Sahara I never posted before. Make sure to read comments column on the far right to see what was done to each vehicle or mode of driving. In summary, mpg improvements with Amsoil over factory fills are as follows, accounting data points of same mode of driving (i.e. excluding trips).

Explorer Sport: Dino oil - 13.51mpg; Quaker State - 15.08mpg. Not counting Feb 27 fill because it's transitional, excluding highway trip.
JK: Factory fill - 17.54mpg; Amsoil - 19.21mpg. Not counting May 2 fill because it's transitional.
G37xS: Factory fill - 19.67mpg; Amsoil - 21.14mpg. Not counting any data points part of prolonged highway trips.

The Explorer is now parked and is not driven. Hence, no updates since April 12th.

Name:	2013 Explorer Sport MPG 2013-05-25.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	461401

Name:	2013 JK MPG 2013-05-25.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	461402

Name:	2013 G37 MPG 2013-05-25.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	461403

Just for the record, I am not an Amsoil dealer and am not pushing the product to anyone. I just used it in my 2005 Mazda 3 after doing an extensive research in oils in general and liked the results a lot.

Last edited by davison0976; 05-25-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

My 12 Maxda 3 has it in it, seems to get better fuel eco and quicker acceleration.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sorry man but your kind of wrong !

Originally Posted by Lumberjack500
True, but amsoil and mobil 1 are 99% the same. Exxon spends billions on r&d. I think if amsoil had discovered a chemical that could be added in minuscule amounts and let you get significantly better gas mileage, they would have stolen/taken long ago.

I say this because I ran mobile one in my Harley road king and it had very poor results as far as valve train noise , and heat issue on a 200 mile ride or so . then I changed to amsoil and the heat issue disappeared
( heat is friction ) and then my valve train noise was lowerd also ! however my friend swears buy Harley 20/50 straight dino oil he had 286,000 miles on his flh never been apart, I decided to run regular dino oil in my road king the valve noise was gone practicly it seems my throttle response was immediately better and ive stayed with the dino
but I will note that amsoil did keep the engine cooler I don't use synthetic oil anymore im just old school so I have no reason to state my case other than I know thers a difference between mobile one synth and amsoil synth on my Harley alone I assume a jeep would be no different a (engine is a engine ) but oils can give you better performance and longevity in fact I remember thinking I cant wait the 3000 mile interval to dump the mobile 1 from valve train noise on a warm day

with amsoil you can actually feel the difference rubbing it between fingers between the mobile one and amsoil the amsoil had a thicker texture personally run what you wish in your jeep I don't run either just saying
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4109.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	531326  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-16-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NH-JK
A friend of mine used amsoil in his sled and the oil had part of an old rag in it.... Got stuck in his oil pump and starved the engine of oil. Blew motor.... Amsoil gave him a years worth of free oil to say sorry. I guess it had happened to some other people.... I think they may have helped him out with the motor rebuild to. Sounds like a good company.
I don't believe this a bit. How could one not see a rag of a size which could plug an oil pump slipping out from an oil bottle when putting the oil into an engine?

Yes, good company indeed. They knew he was lying, yet helped him out anyway.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, folks, the guessing game is over. Read this report issued by a reputable oil analysis laboratory most of you have probably heard of. While the lab can't take sides you have to read between the lines and look at the charts.

While Pennzoil iron wear per mile is on par with Amsoil, notice how Copper (Cu) and Aluminum (Al) wear is still better with Amsoil. Also notice how Mobil one is worst in iron wear per mile, as the wear is highest among the oils presented in the report.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsl...uly-1-2014.php

Last edited by davison0976; 07-03-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

According to that report, it seems that all the synthetic oils sampled performed well. The difference of 1 part per million listed in some of the charts is insignificant. 1 ppm could simply be usage differences.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another way to look at it is that for a 10,000 mile run you'll get 19 parts per million in iron on Mobil 1 and 13 ppm with Amsoil. That is 32% less in wear. Therefore, your Mobil 1 engine with 68,000 on odo is already as worn out as my Amsoil engine will be at 100,000 on odo.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And my 100,000 mile 3.6 will have 1millions times the wear from using CRAP Pennzoil from a giant vat of bulk oil. And the motor will get replaced with a new motor under warranty because it has been changed at the proper intervals according to Jeep. Haha. Oil is oil. Change it when it's time with the proper oil.

I was an Amsoil geek once. It didn't make a bit of difference other than it cost more. And they sent me a years supply at a time. It was 6 quarts and two filters. Haha. Thencar, a Chrysler 300c, was crap in about 70k miles. I have since just decided to use normal oil,"cheap" oil, and save the money and live with the fact that I've never kept a vehicle longer than 3 years and when traded in mileage is the only thing that matters. Condition, what oil you've used, perfect paint....none of that crap matters. Mileage/age. That's it.

Quick Reply: Amsoil hype? Lets find out!