Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Am I stupid for even thinking about this?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8000ft
I got the auto because I thought it would be easier to do the kind of wheeling that I enjoy which is slow crawling in Moab, which is mostly rock..no mud.

you will have to weigh you pro/con list and try to separate out the emotion...

BUT it sounds like the emotion part is what will be making the decision for you, nothing wrong with that either. You will be happier with your decision despite the logical reasons.
You can slow crawl with a stick; I do it all the time.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Macman1138

You can slow crawl with a stick; I do it all the time.
I agree it's amazing how slow you can crawl with a standard transmission.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with a 2013 manual and the only thing I was worried about was how hard it would be to wheel vs. an auto. Well, after two serious offroad trips, I can't imagine having an auto! In 4 low, you don't use the gas to engage, and it crawls really slow. Plus, you literally have to try to stall it (I still haven't). I never feathered the clutch - in fact, hardly used it. Pick the right gear and go. Yes, you can select a gear in an auto, but doesn't that mean you are just trying to replicate a manual?

There are some very experienced and smart people on here that know how to wheel in a manual. I read tons of posts from them and talked to some people in a local club. Learn to do it right, and it is an extremely rewarding experience.

And I have no idea why rock crawling with an auto is better? I'd fear an auto would shift on me. I know what gear I need and that's where I want to to stay.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

If you can do it money wise go for it. I am in the exact same boat. Bought a 12 auto because my wife can't drive stick. I drove my five speed tj for 11 years and just love shifting. I miss the stick on every trip. If you have payments either way at least when you make them it won't be on something that is less than what you want.
Best of luck with your choice!🍻

Quick Reply: Am I stupid for even thinking about this?