Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Am i missing a bolt?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... I got a replacement bolt.... Any idea the torque specs?
Old 03-19-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing those are considered housing bolts, 20ftlbs. I'd put it to that and add blue locktight. Those look like they'd be easy to strip.
Maybe ronj will pop on, he'd know fer sure

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-19-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

can you tell me where you got the bolts, and what bolts you need exactly. i was under mine yesterday trying to pinpoint a rattle, and i'm missing TWO.. yes TWO bolts, scary. i'm thinking the rattle might be another one coming loose.

this may be a dumb question but i dont have the appropriate tools to measure tension, is 20lbs more than i can tighten with a wrench?

was hoping to try to find some bolts soon and take care of this.. don't like driving around with my transmission barely held on...
Old 03-19-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I'm guessing those are considered housing bolts, 20ftlbs. I'd put it to that and add blue locktight. Those look like they'd be easy to strip.
Maybe ronj will pop on, he'd know fer sure
Thanks for the tip on the blue locktight... All I have is red, I am about to run out and pick up some blue. Just for my own curiosity, why blue? Would red cause problems if/when I go to remove them?

Also, on the project JK site... That's one thing that's always bugged me on the torque specs, the naming of some of those things seems so random. The mechanic at my dealer, who was trying to explain to the parts guy which bolt i needed, was calling it an adapter housing. He also was calling it a fly wheel cover, I guess the flywheel sits right behind that plate
Old 03-19-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by liveadv
can you tell me where you got the bolts, and what bolts you need exactly. i was under mine yesterday trying to pinpoint a rattle, and i'm missing TWO.. yes TWO bolts, scary. i'm thinking the rattle might be another one coming loose.

this may be a dumb question but i dont have the appropriate tools to measure tension, is 20lbs more than i can tighten with a wrench?

was hoping to try to find some bolts soon and take care of this.. don't like driving around with my transmission barely held on...
I bought my bolts at ACE hardware... The dealer was clueless, but worth a try.

The bolt head is a 15 metric, the bolt is 10mx1.50x50.

You should buy a torque wrench. I use a craftsman beam style wrench, the 1/2" version only costs $30.

Edit:

Also, you want a flange style bolt. If you could (and I don't recommend it) look at your last bolt you'd see it has a built in washer, this is why you want a flange (I think this is the right term) bolt.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

much appreciated.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Enzo
Sure laugh , its all fun and games till some loosed a bolt....LOL.

I'm still laughing, even after I fell out of my chair.....
But; really, never go back to that place; do the work yourself.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by smallz46

I'm still laughing, even after I fell out of my chair.....
But; really, never go back to that place; do the work yourself.
Lol...

I appreciate the comment... But it's not practical for me to repair my own engine, especially when I have a lifetime powertrain warranty.

In all honesty, they had no reason to be messing with that bolt. And, from the other response, I wonder if these come loose on their own after a while.

Giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt, it could just have been a coincidence. Overall this dealer has been pretty good to me, they are pretty mod friendly.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
Lol...

I appreciate the comment... But it's not practical for me to repair my own engine, especially when I have a lifetime powertrain warranty.

In all honesty, they had no reason to be messing with that bolt. And, from the other response, I wonder if these come loose on their own after a while.

Giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt, it could just have been a coincidence. Overall this dealer has been pretty good to me, they are pretty mod friendly.
Oh; and by the way nice looking jeep

Looks like you do alot of off roading; more than me But I'm always under my jeep checking for loose parts, thanks to the crappy Texas roads; maybe you just lost it on an off road trek? Jeeps take a beating, but thinks do get loose from all that beating.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by smallz46

Oh; and by the way nice looking jeep

Looks like you do alot of off roading; more than me But I'm always under my jeep checking for loose parts, thanks to the crappy Texas roads; maybe you just lost it on an off road trek? Jeeps take a beating, but thinks do get loose from all that beating.
Thank you.

I wouldn't say I do a "lot", with a wife and two kids, plus a rather busy work schedule, I get to off-road maybe a half a dozen times a year... Still, I love every minute of it.

Where abouts are you in Texas? Our Oklahoma roads SUCK, we've literally had 10 foot sections of overpasses collapse on more than one occasion in the Tulsa area... So, perhaps my Jeep gets beat up more on pavement than it does on the trail

But, seriously, I think the locktight Idea is the way to go. 20 ft/lbs isn't a lot, so I can certainly see the coming loose over time. I'll have to add these to the list of bots I inspect with every oil change.

Quick Reply: Am i missing a bolt?