Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Always check the dealership's work

Old 02-02-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my Jeep back yesterday, with a new Rim and I saw the written reprimand that was going on the mechanic's file. If it was a one time thing, he will be more careful in the future, if it isn't a one time thing they will have documentation to take action against him in the future. Apparently this mechanic has more then 30 years of experience.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my 2001 TJ in for 45k mile maintenance.. oil chain, front/rear diff, transfer case and transmission fluid changes.

I got a call about 2 hours later that said "Our records show you changed your front/rear diff about 6 months ago .. and the fluid looks clear, do you REALLY want it changed, otherwise it'll say ya $70." (Apparently the significant other was nice on a previous oil change and had it changed because they said it was "dirty".. anyway..) I thanked them for being honest.. picked up the jeep a few hours later.

drove 20 miles home.. left home to drive to the office.. another 10 miles later.. SHUDDER, BANG, SCREEEEEEECH (at 65 MPH on the freeway).. Felt like the damned transfer case fell out of the jeep.. I was convinced they broke something..

After getting an emergency tow back to the dealership, they realized that they had drained the front axel, and never refilled it! Took out the axel shafts, and all of the guts.. the only thing salvageable was the housing and knuckles...

(They did immediately acknowledge it was there mistake, they made it right, and I did buy my new Jeep from them... But I never did get the fluids serviced there again...)
Old 02-02-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is a classic. Yesterday I took my Jeep in for the fender lining recall. The service manager popped the hood and asked If I installed the electric fan on the Jeep? I told him all JKs come stock with electric fans and he said...."oh." Where do they get these guys?

Flash
Old 02-02-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

No suprise to me. I would say at least 80% of the time dealer work is faulty sloppy not complete. Oil cap left off, damage to grill, clips left off, collant and clutch fluid not washed off, vehicle squelling terribly, new steering stabalizer not installed in correct location causing full turn one direction and severe limited turn in the other.

All this with my keys handed back to me with a smile and its all complete sir. If i ran my buisness this way i wouldnt be in buisness long, Hmmm car industry is broke. Gee wonder why?

Always check their work BEFORE you sign for it !

Quick Reply: Always check the dealership's work