Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Always check the dealership's work

Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Always check the dealership's work

Here is why you should always double check the work done at a garage. Last week I took my 07 in to one of the local dealerships to have the latest recall carried out. They noticed that my front universal joints were loose so offered to replace them under warranty.

Today I take the JK in and when I drive away I notice a bit of shutter when I brake, initially I thought it might have been a bit of oil/grease on the brakes. On my way home after work, it would jolt to a stop from 5 kph. When I got home and stopped on my snowy street it was easy to see which wheel was the problem. I went to crawl underneath to have a closer look when I realized I could hear a hissing sound. Upon closer inspection my front right brake caliper had not been bolted back into place and it wore a hole in my rim.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1310279.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	123284

Let's see if they make it right. I actually liked this dealership.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's sad. That is something serious to forget and could kill someone who doesn't pay attention.

Sadly, things like this don't allow me to trust anyone.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had that happen to me, but in the rear after I put new pads on, the bolt fell out, Oh and you know I was out of state.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

I had a dealership forget to tighten all the lug nuts on one of my wheels after they were working on my TJ. I was lucky that the wheel never few off but talk about the vibration due to a loose wheel.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

I've seen that very same thing a few times over the years, from independent shops as well as dealers and DIY'ers. Just from being in a hurry and forgetting to tighten the bolts. Always go to show, double check your work if you do it yourself, if someone else did it, there has to be some trust that they double checked. It's hard to double check the work of someone else.
Hopefully they took care of this for you, with a good butt kissing to boot.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

So I am guessing the one that was attached wasn't torqued to spec either? This is really sad...I don't trust the dealer to do anything on my Jeep.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some years back I took in my turbo diesel 7.3 ford because of missing bolts on the turbo. It was a common problem with the holes machined wrong; the holes were threaded to loose. Anyway, I got the ticket it said they removed bolts, added lock tight, and replaced all bolts. A few miles down the road I some little voice in my head told me to look. So, I pulled over and they had not even replaced the missing bolts. I took it back immediately.

I'm the type to do all my own work but warranty work is warranty work, ya' know. As the OP said always check.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the dealer replace my intermediat steering shaft, drove away heard a clunking when I turned, pulled over popped the hood and found a ratchet and the old shaft on top of my motor just waiting to fall into my fan belt.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Detonatorunlimited
I had the dealer replace my intermediat steering shaft, drove away heard a clunking when I turned, pulled over popped the hood and found a ratchet and the old shaft on top of my motor just waiting to fall into my fan belt.
Hope you kept the ratchet. Lol.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd sue the hell out of them and go buy another Jeep..(at a different dealership of course)

This is one of the reasons I DO MY OWN WORK.

Quick Reply: Always check the dealership's work