Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

All the places my JK has been, and I broke it - cleaning it???

Old 08-20-2010, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 35 cent part that comes off. I bought one and put in the glove box as insurance.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CA-JK
Don't tow it! If you can reach where the cable attaches you can shift your T-case into 2H pretty easy. The same thing happened to me about a month ago. I slipped the hole in the handle of a large adjustable wrench over the linkage and shifted it back from 4L to 2H with a little finesse. Make sure the dealer knows that the cable is off at both ends. After they had my Jeep for a day they only re-attached the T-case side of the cable. I had the service manager come "show me how to" shift it into 4L and what do you know, it didn't work. Needless to say the repairs were on them.
yes it must be broken on both ends, b/c I can attach it and it still is loose and does nothing when you pull the lever.

I pulled like crazy (and I'm a pretty strong guy) and can't get it out of 4WD low. Does the automatic tranny need to be in neutral or anything?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

chances are that you are laying tight against a gear. pu the transmission in neutral and give the jeep alittle push then climb back under it and try again.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
chances are that you are laying tight against a gear. pu the transmission in neutral and give the jeep alittle push then climb back under it and try again.
wow that worked, I pulled so hard it went straight to 2WD lol.

Thanks everyone for the input. will take to the dealer Tues...
Old 08-29-2010, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dealer had to replace the entire cable, took 3 days. Picked it up after hours and now the rear windows won't go up and down (fronts work fine) How bizzare is that??

Taking back in Thurs, will update.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

dealer probably blew a fuse messing with center console. that or they forgot to reconnect it. same happened to me once.

Last edited by cwhitfield; 08-29-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Or the lockout switch in the middle of the dash is flipped down. It prevents your rear windows from moving.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Or the lockout switch in the middle of the dash is flipped down. It prevents your rear windows from moving.
Already checked that....both fronts work, backs don't from either set of switches...
Old 10-08-2010, 09:24 PM
JK Junkie

Does anyone have any pics to fix this? Mine broke today and I'm stuck in 4L I have to go recover my Jeep tomorrow :(
Old 10-08-2010, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt852
Does anyone have any pics to fix this? Mine broke today and I'm stuck in 4L I have to go recover my Jeep tomorrow :(
Look at post #3 of this thread. Click on it & then look at post #7 of the next thread. There are pictures there!

Good luck getting your rig home!

Quick Reply: All the places my JK has been, and I broke it - cleaning it???