Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Alarm Crazyness

Old 10-02-2008, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Crazyness

Every once in a while (less then 5% of the time) when I go out to my Jeep, I find out that my doors are locked (and consequently my alarm is set). I guess first to note is that I never lock my Jeep. Second to note is that i bought a spare key (no key FOB) and programmed it so I don't carry the FOB on me.

My first problem is that somehow my alarm is getting activated without me knowing it. According to the manual, there is only 2 ways to de-activate the alarm, with the key FOB (which I don't care with me anymore) and to put the keys in the ignition. But wait... I'm standing outside my jeep and all the doors are locked... and you want me to magically put the keys in the ignition? I just don't really want the alarm going off in the situation... I know no one is stealing it. I want the alarm off so I don't wake everyone in the morning at my apartment complex. So how do I get the alarm off before I open the door?

Secondly, how are my doors getting locked in the first place? According to the manual, to set the alarm you can either use the FOB (again, I don't have) or use the power locks. I never use the power locks really, the only thing I can think of is that I'm bumping it I guess? Seems kind of odd to me.

Anything I'm missing? I have tired opening the doors from the inside and using the power locks (window was down) as well as manually unlocked the doors with the key and the alarm still goes off.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I can see in the '08 manual is if you hit the door switch while it's open, it take 16 seconds to arm, if you open the door(s) again during this 16 seconds, it will disarm. Opening and closing the door a second time should prevent it, but it's an annoyance, supposedly you can tell if it's arming by the flashing sequence of the alarm LED in the dash display.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

if you dont want the alarm to be active you need to lock the doors with the key not the door lock button. otherwise if you unlock with the key the alarm goes off, mine does the same thing and the dealer looked it up to be sure. he confirmed that it is working properly.

but at least my non fob key is only an emergency spare so its no big deal for me.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

While yes I do not want the alarm to be active... I also don't want the doors to be locked at all. The thing I was confused about is why they are locking when I don't do anything to lock them.

The other issue is if they are locked and it is set, how can I get the alarm to turn off without the alarm going off just to get in.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe someone is looking out for you and opening your door and locking with the power lock switch?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

haha, I though that someone was getting in, but nothing was stolen. weird as the case maybe.

Mentioning if I lock the doors the with the key, then alarm wont set correct? So if I walk up to my Jeep and the doors and locked and the alarm is on, could I use the key to unlock the doors, lock the doors again (disabling the alarm), and then unlock them a second time to get in without setting off the alarm?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Another option is one of your neighbors car remotes has the same frequency as your Jeep does. When they arm or disarm theirs it arms yours. I had that happen with mine on more then one vehicle that i owned. I would unlock my doors to my vehicle and the car next to mine the alarm would go off for it. I was able to make it go off and on with my remote. It was actually kinda cool. There are also alot of stray signals floating around. I have also heard of people having garage doors opening up from low flying planes probably from the planes radios. Just a few thoughts to maybe help you. Let us know if you figure it out.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any chance you are bumping the switch when you get out? I've done that a couple of times...
Old 10-02-2008, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

You have another option to locking it. You don't have to use the key just don't use the power lock button. After you open the door just push the lock paddle manually and shut the door. It will lock the jeep and not activate the alarm.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikejwil
Any chance you are bumping the switch when you get out? I've done that a couple of times...
Ive done this also.

Quick Reply: Alarm Crazyness