Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Air: Fresh vs. Recirculating

Old 07-07-2016, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air: Fresh vs. Recirculating

I may or may not have an issue; hopefully someone on the forum can lend some expertise.

Generally, I prefer to only use fresh air (recirculating air OFF) in my 2013 JK 2-door Sport. For whatever reason, it seems that my JK defaults to always switch to recirculate when I start it up, even though the recirculate light is not on. So, I have to manually push the button once to turn the recirculate light on and then push it a second time to finally switch it to fresh air. Although this is annoying, I can live with it.

Lately, my JK has been switching my fresh air to recirculated air randomly while I drive. Again, the recirculate light does not come on. I know that it has switched because the vent air sound gets louder and I see my soft top' "suck in" as the air pressure drops inside the cabin. As soon as this happens, I go through the double-push button process mentioned above and it'll switch back to fresh air (vent air sound gets a bit quieter and my soft top expands like a balloon).

None of this happened on my 2008 JKU. Do I have an HVAC problem or is this normal?
Old 07-07-2016, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default not sure whats goin on but

i can say this much my 2012 rubicon does not do this. once the light is on my soft top puffs out a bit and stays this way till i hit the button not on its own will it change or switch back . least not in my 4.5 years of owning it

i prefer it on a bit on low just to keep the pressure inside a little enough to balloon the soft top a tad bit. In winter too , its a little quieter when the soft top is stiff the side windows dont flap that way even with heat on i use that.

And i do not have climate control. all those things i did not order . i ordered mine manual windows & locks no bells and whistles . electronics always fail over time and i dont need the headache

Last edited by jeepmojo; 07-07-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by warpeg
I may or may not have an issue; hopefully someone on the forum can lend some expertise.

Generally, I prefer to only use fresh air (recirculating air OFF) in my 2013 JK 2-door Sport. For whatever reason, it seems that my JK defaults to always switch to recirculate when I start it up, even though the recirculate light is not on. So, I have to manually push the button once to turn the recirculate light on and then push it a second time to finally switch it to fresh air. Although this is annoying, I can live with it.

Lately, my JK has been switching my fresh air to recirculated air randomly while I drive. Again, the recirculate light does not come on. I know that it has switched because the vent air sound gets louder and I see my soft top' "suck in" as the air pressure drops inside the cabin. As soon as this happens, I go through the double-push button process mentioned above and it'll switch back to fresh air (vent air sound gets a bit quieter and my soft top expands like a balloon).

None of this happened on my 2008 JKU. Do I have an HVAC problem or is this normal?
I think you're okay if you have climate control on a newer JK. This is from my 2014 OM. I'm thinking the system recirculates the air at first to cool it down faster and then starts drawing outside air when needed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 AC Recirc Mode.png
Views:	2071
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	651834  
Old 07-08-2016, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I think you're okay if you have climate control on a newer JK. This is from my 2014 OM. I'm thinking the system recirculates the air at first to cool it down faster and then starts drawing outside air when needed.

Ahh....I guess I should have read the manual before posting. Haha Thanks for the post; this clears everything up.

Quick Reply: Air: Fresh vs. Recirculating