Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

which air filter?

Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a wix filter. It cost me only 14.00. I have had no problems with them.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying out that Rugged Ridge drop in unit that is like the K&N (well it's red). So far it seems just fine. Better than the paper one I took out and I don't have to oil it, which is a plus in my book.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

I've been using my k&n drop in air filter for well over a year and a half and so far it has worked like a charm! If it gets dirty just wash it out and let it dry then pop it back in!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BStelling
I've been using my k&n drop in air filter for well over a year and a half and so far it has worked like a charm! If it gets dirty just wash it out and let it dry then pop it back in!
I hope you mean wash it out then let it dry then reapply the red oil before popping it back in!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob_engineer

I hope you mean wash it out then let it dry then reapply the red oil before popping it back in!
I hope that's what he means! The K&N is great and can be had for the same $35. I'm replacing mine soon with a Banks Ram Air a buddy is giving me. I'll let you know how I like that one lol
Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

I put in the k&n filter about 2 months back on my JK Sahara and instantly noticed a little extra juice on the gas. My mileage increased about 1.5 miles per gallon.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would go with the K&N drop in air filter too. I love K&N filters, my XJ has had a K&N air filter for the last 10 years and is doing just fine with no signs of needing to be replaced any time soon, I have about 100,000 miles on the filter. I just wish the local parts stores around me would have the K&N drop in air filter in stock when its time for me to replace my air filter. I just cleaned out my paper filter about a week ago and it improved my gas milage by about 1.5 mpg.

from what I have gathered from other members comments is that a CAI (cold air intake) really doesn't help. which makes sense to me because really how hot is the air going to get in the 3 feet or so that it travels through the engine bay before going into the throttle body?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had K&N's is almost all my trucks for years and never had any complaints with them. Just keep the washed and oiled and they work great. I hear the AEM filter is really good also.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 AM
JK Freak

Do some research before using K&N and other non-paper filters that claim to flow more air than paper. There's some evidence that they allow particles to pass that would be filtered by a good quality paper filter. Makes sense and I'm not aware of any OEM applications for these types of filters even among cars where the cost wouldn't be a factor.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
Do some research before using K&N and other non-paper filters that claim to flow more air than paper. There's some evidence that they allow particles to pass that would be filtered by a good quality paper filter. Makes sense and I'm not aware of any OEM applications for these types of filters even among cars where the cost wouldn't be a factor.
This wouldnt be much of a concern unless you were in extremely dusty conditions

Quick Reply: which air filter?