Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

air conditioning not working mystery

Old 04-05-2015, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air conditioning not working mystery

I didn't use the a/c for probably 6 months, was working before, now its not. Didn't really mind too much but its starting to get warm again, and it can get muggy here in NC. It seems the problem is that something is keeping the compressor disabled. Ran through some troubleshooting already, here's where I am.

1. Checked M fuses 11,15 and 34 (all good)
2. Jumped the pressure switch, this didn't do much except it revs up the motor and fan under the hood but no compressor action
3. Hot wired the compressor and it came on

Not showing any codes and everything inside the cab shows normal. Sometimes if i'm riding around with the ac button on it will hold about 2000 rpm even if i'm just sitting still. Not sure what else I can test, hoping someone is willing to share some know-how. I'v heard how much getting the a/c fixed can cost and frankly I just dropped a butt load to get a new clutch so i'm hoping I can figure this out.
The following users liked this post:
sarguy (03-27-2021)
Old 04-05-2015, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same problem here. Didn't find out I didn't have air on a 2012 with 24K miles on it until I headed to MOAB last week. Going to see if the Dealer will be able to fix this under warranty. I think my factory warranty ran out while I was driving to Moab.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check and make sure your Freon is correct . if it is to low it will keep the compressor from turning on.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

I have an appointment for it tomorrow. Dealer said my warranty expired 2 weeks ago. I said my interest in ever buying another Jeep also expired 2 weeks ago. I have one 2012 wrangler with 40K miles and 2 1/2 years old that has no heat, and another 2012 wrangler with 24K miles and 3 years and 14 days old with no A/C. Next time I'll go spend my $60,000+ on something a little more reliable. Service rep said well let me see what I can do. I said, yeah why don't you go do that.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:46 AM
JK Super Freak

WOW!

So the dealer called said that the compressor went out. Normally this is a $1,033.00 repair. They called Chrysler and they worked out a deal with them and I will have to still cover $260 portion of it.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it worked out and Chrysler worked with you on it.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what you describe sounds more like the compressor clutch.. but maybe the compressor locked and the clutch twised off at the shaft.. I have replsced more than one compressor clutch over the years after the winter salt destroyed its windings and it wouldnt engage.. they are replaceable without replacing the whole compressor...

-Christopher
Old 04-08-2015, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rocks4x4
Check and make sure your Freon is correct . if it is to low it will keep the compressor from turning on.
My understanding of how that happens is through the pressure switch. I pulled the switch and put a jumper across the connection to trick it and the compressor still did not kick on. Far as I know that's all I needed to do to know without putting a gauge on it that its not that.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

When I was testing I was testing the high pressure side, so went and got a gauge for the low pressure side and there is plenty of pressure in the system. Anyone happen to know where the low pressure switch is located? Its gotta be somewhere under the dash, having a hard time finding info on this.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default Solved

Well, just to close this out. The issue in my case was a loose wire. I ended up taking it to the dealer where the professional wire jiggler was able to find the problem. Not so satisfying from my end since I did so much troubleshooting, but glad it wasn't something expensive.

Quick Reply: air conditioning not working mystery