Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Air Conditioner is on when turned off

Old 09-26-2008, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Conditioner is on when turned off

Air Conditioner is on when turned off in window/foot setting but stays off when in face and foot setting. I havent tried it any other settings yet.

Basically the A/C should be off when the button for the A/C is off.

Taking it to the dealer on Monday.

Any thoughts? I searched for this topic.

2008 2dr X.

Wondering if the wires are crossed with the recirculation setting since this setting is based on the airflow directions.

Want to be able to explain this in the best way with the dealer so they dont have to tear the whole thing apart

But i can say that my sunrider top isn't leaking; yet

Last edited by turtoni; 09-26-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You blew it man, your top's gonna leak now, karma gods got me the other day. I mentioned how my softop didn't leak, next day it sprung leaks from all positions, go figure. I ain't got nuthin on your ac prob though, somebody with knowledge should hit this thread before long though.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You blew it man, your top's gonna leak now, karma gods got me the other day. I mentioned how my softop didn't leak, next day it sprung leaks from all positions, go figure. I ain't got nuthin on your ac prob though, somebody with knowledge should hit this thread before long though.
Oh crap. Cancel the jinx upon my sunrider top; please Gods of Thor!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Yeh , I think he comes out with his hammer and beats all the seals with it, he must drive a hummer.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:52 PM
JK Freak

Odds are that you have a stuck compressor relay... Happens sometimes. Had a similar issue with my wife's Caravan.

That said, make sure you don't have defog selected. The A/C runs for defogging, even with the A/C button off.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Widewing
Odds are that you have a stuck compressor relay... Happens sometimes. Had a similar issue with my wife's Caravan.

That said, make sure you don't have defog selected. The A/C runs for defogging, even with the A/C button off.

My regards,

Widewing
Ah. I hope it's just a "stuck compressor relay" but since it's off with a different setting for the airflow it would seem to be more than that or at least something with the wiring.

Defrog? The recirculation button is off.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

What do you mean with the defogging? If i have the air circulating to the windshield and feet setting at the lowest temp; you're saying that the a/c is going to be on even if the a/c is switched to off? Hmmm. Maybe i need to reread the manual then. Would seem to be odd to do that.

Last edited by turtoni; 09-26-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's working as it Should. All Jeep products turn on the AC automatically if air is directed to the windshield. The AC removes moisture from the air to aid rapid demisting even with the system set to hot.

Last edited by mike pavelin; 09-26-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike pavelin
It's working as it Should. All Jeep products turn on the AC automatically if air is directed to the windshield. The AC removes moisture from the air to aid rapid demisting even with the system set to hot.
x2, that is normal.

And with the amount of drips inside the cab from the softtop, I need all the dry air I can get!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok guys thanks for the reply. I'm sorry that i didnt notice this before; but anyway from the manual:

"NOTE: The air conditioning compressor operates in both Mix and Defrost or a Blend of these modes even if the fan switch is not in the A/C position. This dehumidifies the air to help dry the windshield. To improve fuel economy, use these modes only when necessary."

Thanks again for your replies.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner is on when turned off