Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

air box help

Old 04-14-2008, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepSky
I don't know why everyone keeps bashing on the CIA's.

I seem to remember 3 people on this forum hydrolocking their engines in the past 2 months that had the STOCK AIR BOX.

In fact, of the people that post here I've seen more hydrolocked Jeeps that had the stock box than a CIA.
Isn't that what the guys above JUST said so if the stock box is that prone to hydrolock...why increase the risk with a "performance intake". I came from the wannabe street racer world where I was used to seeing this stuff but I still can't figure those trying to off road in such conditions with "CAI" -I've been biting my tongue but in cars "cold air intakes" actually pulled air from outside the bay or at least towards the bottom of it. Most of what I'm seeing here is a a tube with a open element sucking in engine bay air...a plastic fin or shroud is not going to keep that hot air out
Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

CAI would be bad for a Jeep IMO.

From my experience in FI on cars that almost all end up with a K&N air filter end up with one common problem.

The oil in the filter works good for picking up dust, bugs, and other contaminates but it simply blows @ stopping water (it actualy repels it and allows it to pass right through it), even the sort of spray of mist you'd get from following someone on the hyway in heavy rain.
A paper filter would just absorb the humidity.

My SC'd car has a CAI and almost every spring I get a check engine light. Check the codes and their misfire in cyd #3 or Cyd #1 ect...
Not hydrolock but still a negative effect directly from sucking in water droplets, and that's not counting the water on the TPS and MAF before it was able to cause the misfires that will now have to be serviced to be perfect again.

Off roading with a Jeep has a much greater chance of encountering humidity then a car on a road would so I'd stay away from any oil based air filters.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepSky
I don't know why everyone keeps bashing on the CIA's.

I seem to remember 3 people on this forum hydrolocking their engines in the past 2 months that had the STOCK AIR BOX.

In fact, of the people that post here I've seen more hydrolocked Jeeps that had the stock box than a CIA.
We keep bashin on CAIs cause for the Jeep, they ain't worth snot.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I pulled my AIRAID and put my stock back on. Yeah, you can Hydrolock with the stock intake but it takes a "tad" more work. I was splashin through mud puddles a few months ago (max 2ft) and when I popped the hood my AIRAID filter was soaking wet (not saturated but wet). Any performance gains I may of had were not worth the 250, anyways. So, in short I wasted money on a system that, my opinion, didn't work and was far more susceptible to sucking in water.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:42 PM
JK Freak

Unhappy went back to stock.

Stock sucks......

I kinda lost sixth gear. I got airaid, then few months later, new tires, went back to stock, sick of bypassing puddles, and now sixth gear sucks... Seems to drink more gas than usual now.... Plus it is all quiet now...

I think a flowmaster will bring back a little bit of sixth, the quiet problem will be gone, and hopefully will waste slightly less gas..

I think I will sell my dirty airade, it does pretty well....
Old 04-16-2008, 12:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I am very pleased with my Flowmaster Delta 50 muffler. I kept mine in the stock location because it tucked up nicely out of the way, but a few people have also put them under the drivers seat. I was pleasantly surprised at how much difference the change made. The tone of the muffler seems to be getting a little deeper now that I have a few miles on it, too. I have been kicking around the idea of a CAI, but I think I will hold off. If I did end up getting one, it would be one of the enclosed ones.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PoorDad
I am very pleased with my Flowmaster Delta 50 muffler. I kept mine in the stock location because it tucked up nicely out of the way, but a few people have also put them under the drivers seat. I was pleasantly surprised at how much difference the change made. The tone of the muffler seems to be getting a little deeper now that I have a few miles on it, too. I have been kicking around the idea of a CAI, but I think I will hold off. If I did end up getting one, it would be one of the enclosed ones.
Delta 50 huh? I will look into that. I want a deep rumble, but not an agressive or, overly agressive one. And I sure as hell don't want it to sound like a lawn mower... What is wrong with kids nowadays?

Quick Reply: air box help