Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Aftermath of 3.8L engine swap

Old 10-07-2014, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermath of 3.8L engine swap

Hi Jeepers!! Complete engine rebuild done after a oil consumption issue spun a bearing while my dipshit kid was using it to commute to and from work....engine is back in the jeep. Starts and runs...rough. Sounds like it has a miss in it. I did notice last night when it was kinda dark right after I started it I saw what looked like spark coming from my plug wires right at the connection to the plugs. all 4 on the drivers side were doing it. Anyone know whats going on with this????
Old 10-07-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you swapped in a V8 the driver side should only have three..

Who swapped the motor in? There have been several threads on motors running rough after a swap. Did you check it for any codes first?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:47 AM
JK Junkie

It could just be a simple fix as replacing those spark plug wires. Are they new or still the originals. Usually seeing sparks like that indicate worn out/damaged wires....
Old 10-08-2014, 02:31 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry...3. All the work was done by me besides the obvious machine shop stuff. This thing only had 47 K miles on it too.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-10-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

I recently finished my 3.8 swap. My engine sat in the garage for at least 5 years being rotated occasionally by me and the previous owner.
First start on mine produced p0300 dtc's. I was very concerned. I started with wires and isolated which cylinder was not firing. I found there was spark at the wire. Next I swapped the plug with one from the old engine. At the same time I put injector cleaner in the tank. It gradually got better over the next several min of running. I only let it run for a few min at a time, but it was very rough.... Like it was running on 5 cylinders Eventually, it worked itself out and finally the MIL turned off on its own.
Perhaps your wires are nicked? Not fully seated? Plugs cracked or not tight? I hope this gives you a place to start.
-Chris

Last edited by RubiKean; 10-10-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiKean
I recently finished my 3.8 swap. My engine sat in the garage for at least 5 years being rotated occasionally by me and the previous owner.
First start on mine produced p0300 dtc's. I was very concerned. I started with wires and isolated which cylinder was not firing. I found there was spark at the wire. Next I swapped the plug with one from the old engine. At the same time I put injector cleaner in the tank. It gradually got better over the next several min of running. I only let it run for a few min at a time, but it was very rough.... Like it was running on 5 cylinders Eventually, it worked itself out and finally the MIL turned off on its own.
Perhaps your wires are nicked? Not fully seated? Plugs cracked or not tight? I hope this gives you a place to start.
-Chris
Hey thanks for the replys... I appreciate you taking time out to help me out. Im not sure what the po300 dtc or the MIL are. Can you give me a little more explaination of those please..
I did purchace some new plugs and wires today to put in tonight or tomorrow. Ill keep you posted how it goes afterward...thanks again everyone
Old 10-11-2014, 04:27 AM
JK Freak

P3000-p3006 refer to engine misfire. MIL is the malfunction indicator light (check engine light)
I would start with replacing plugs and wires.
you mentioned that you rebuilt the motor yourself, does that include cam shaft installation?

Quick Reply: Aftermath of 3.8L engine swap