Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

After lift engine is misfiring **help**

Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After lift engine is misfiring **help**

I got my 4 " lift and 35s installed on my jeep about 8 months ago. I havent installed my superchips at this time and while I was climbing a hill on the highway my engine missed fired at high rpms. My engine light turned on and traction control switched off. I checked the code and the code said crank shaft sensor intermit and multiple cylinders misfired.

The first time this happened I thought it was cause of my lift and how it was shifting so I bought a superchip and installed it. My JK ran great for about 8 months until the same thing happened to me this week. So I put my jeep back to stock and took it in to the dealer and he said he couldnt help me cause I erased the codes.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? Also, Is it possible to put my jeep back to stock and keep the codes on the jeep without the dealership knowing I have a programmer??
Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kaneveo
I got my 4 " lift and 35s installed on my jeep about 8 months ago. I havent installed my superchips at this time and while I was climbing a hill on the highway my engine missed fired at high rpms. My engine light turned on and traction control switched off. I checked the code and the code said crank shaft sensor intermit and multiple cylinders misfired.

The first time this happened I thought it was cause of my lift and how it was shifting so I bought a superchip and installed it. My JK ran great for about 8 months until the same thing happened to me this week. So I put my jeep back to stock and took it in to the dealer and he said he couldnt help me cause I erased the codes.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? Also, Is it possible to put my jeep back to stock and keep the codes on the jeep without the dealership knowing I have a programmer??
If it were me, I would go back to stock with the superchips and then wait for it to mis-fire again. Typically a problem like that will come back. As soon as you experience the problem again take it straight to the dealership. I might try a different dealership than the one you went to before. Don't tell them anything just say you got a problem and let them fix it. I doubt its your lift causing the issue. Depending on when and how you purchased you're Jeep you may have a lifetime powertrain warranty. I was supprised to find out that my Jeep has lifetime on the powertrain.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

I a lift will not cause a misfire and CEL (totally unrelated). The dealer is correct that they can't diagnose a problem if you clear the code. They wouldn't have a start off point, especially if the problem is intermittent. Were both codes for the crank sensor? Make sure there's no mud on the sensor/connector and that it is properly plugged in.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thrshr01
I a lift will not cause a misfire and CEL (totally unrelated). The dealer is correct that they can't diagnose a problem if you clear the code. They wouldn't have a start off point, especially if the problem is intermittent. Were both codes for the crank sensor? Make sure there's no mud on the sensor/connector and that it is properly plugged in.
a wire must me loose/cut/unplugged but that Still doesnt add up since it didnt happen again for 8 months, maybe it's just random?
Old 04-03-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

Ok thanks guys ... I have a 100,000 miles on the warranty ... Only one of the codes was for the crankshaft sensor ... I am just going to run it at stock and see if the problem happens again .. I will keep you updated on the situation.

Thanks again
Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem with my 08 sahara. My third cylinder was misfiring. I thought it might have been a glitch in the Hypertec max energy but it wasn't. After tracing everything and testing wires and injectors I found a cracked spark plug, wasn't very noticeable, and a bad plug wire. Went ahead and replaced alll the plugs and wires and bam...good as new.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by irishslim69
I had the same problem with my 08 sahara. My third cylinder was misfiring. I thought it might have been a glitch in the Hypertec max energy but it wasn't. After tracing everything and testing wires and injectors I found a cracked spark plug, wasn't very noticeable, and a bad plug wire. Went ahead and replaced alll the plugs and wires and bam...good as new.
Your problem must have been a constant and not intermittent. I cracked plug will produce a miss-fire all the time.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:32 PM
JK Newbie

You are correct. A cracked plug will cause a misfire all the time. It was an all-of-a-sudden constant yes. When checking and testing the plug wires I also found asmall amount of corrosion and a loss of continuity when moved. Just some thoughts.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

I went to the dealership today because it happened again. They told me the sensor will be replaced and jeep has a new sensor that uses a sleeve. The sleeve they claims solves 85% of these problems. If the problem continues they said they have to put some sort of bracket that connects to my tranny which I had no clue what that was or will do. I will keep everyone updated on the results

Quick Reply: After lift engine is misfiring **help**