Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Advice about side steps

Old 12-31-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, when we bought our 09 Sahara, it came with the factory side steps already on it.
DW is just at 5' and we use a small step stool , that fits really nice under the front seat, and the grab handles when she gets into the Jeep.
Im 6" and have no problem stepping over them.
ALso makes removing the front Freedom panels a lot easier.

Last edited by donnie; 12-31-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had the same problem - short wife.

I bought the factory running boards and replaced the rock rails with them. I also added grab handles to the roll bar over the door so she now no longer needs the little folding step that I used to carry in the back.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

I dont have a pic , but I had the same prob on my 2DR X. I did get grab handles, but I ran acrodd The rugged Ridge Rock Crusher or whatever rails. They mount between the Tub and Frame and are boxed in. I got them because they have Two Rails on each side so they give a wide area for people to step on. And their is a third bar which rides below the top ones, kinda as a skid. I think I paid about $300 for them work really nice puttin the lil ones in the back seat
Old 01-08-2010, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

X2 on the Westin signature series tube steps. I picked these up for my 2009 X. I later picked up a pair of rubicon rock rails from someone on this forum just to dress it up. The Westins mount to the frame and can be mounted with the rock rails on.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bolted a pair of the Wild Boar Tubular Nerf Bars to my Rubi rails and the seem to work pretty well for my girlfriend and other short people, particularly when trying to get into the back seat (2 door).

They were $225 plus shipping to the Great White North (replace the x's in the URL)

hxxp://r49fy.xnhr4.servertrust.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NBS310

I would have welded them on but since I don't have a welder, I "borrowed" 12 grade 8 bolts from my buddy to mount them (the instructions from Wild Boar said to use a tap and die).

I'll try to post some pics once I get all the salt and crap cleaned off the Jeep.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I get ready to lift my Rubicon I plan on getting a set of the electric steps that fold up underneath when the door is closed. I saw a set at the Sand Toy show in Costa Mesa in Septemeber.

If I plan on doing any serious wheeling, I will have them set up to be removed.

I don't plan on doing very serious crawling with my Jeep, as I have a 4X4 quad for that. But moderate trails I would do with the Jeep.

I mainly need the steps when I get a 3" lift & 35" tires for the wife, as the jeep is mostly used as a 'street jeep' then offroad....(I hope to change that in the years to come)...

Quick Reply: Advice about side steps