Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Advice about side steps

Old 12-25-2008, 10:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another short woman here, my Shrockworks rails and grab handles work well for me. They are the perfect height for me to use as a step, while my husband can still step over them.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Here are the ones I purchased. Fab Fours Rock sliders and the have a solid built in integrated step. They are a little pricey though.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Get a set of rock rails that have a step or get some grab handles. Those stock steps arent made for the woods.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also vote for grab handles as being a low cost solution. You can get a set for $20. They've really helped my G/F getting in and out.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

teraflex sliders are the similar to fab four but are cheaper. I think i will be getting those when i buy some new sliders.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
You can also get some rock rails that work as a step AND protection!

I have the grab handles on my jeep as well. Using those and the rock rails helps my short little 5'2" ass get in my jeep.
I want these! but they're too expensive...
Old 09-27-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are nice. I went with the mopar tubular ones. I keep my rubicon rails for just in case...

One unexpected benefit of the tube-style over the stock rail: no door dings from @$$holes in parking lots. Most vehicles doors will hit the tubes or th eplastic fenders. Just got to watch for other high clearance vehicles like big ol' pick-ups.

Way to dig up an old post, Dirty!

this thread was my first posting, seems like a long time ago, but not even a year yet.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Question Another Option

Originally Posted by dirtyjkwrangler
I want these! but they're too expensive...

I have a '10 2 dr Rubi...short family including myself. I was thinking of doing the Rugged Ridge Side Armor Guards....they look similar to Toad's for around $330 for the pair.
Has anyone seen these and will they mount up ok under the stock Rubicon sliders?

Thanks....
Old 12-31-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

I got the factory steps (Sahara style) when I bought my Jeep. Biggest mistake I ever made. I like the looks, but functionally I don't care for them. Plus they make it difficult for me to get out of my Jeep by having to step "over" them, especially when they are damp in the morning, or just generally dirty.

If I had to do it over again, I would have left them off. My 2 cents.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default This works for me

First off, grab handles work great and are a must. Otherwise, I purchased a set of Westin Signature Series tube steps. They actually mounted over my 09 Rubi Rock Rails. If I want to go wheeling, all I have to do is remove the tube steps...a 10 minute job. So far, this setup is working for me. And my 6-year old can get in out without my assistance.

Quick Reply: Advice about side steps