Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Advice about side steps

Old 12-07-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Advice about side steps

Picked up my 08 Rubicon last weekend. When I am not driving it I am pouring through JK-Forum. Good stuff.

I need some advice on making it easier for people to get in/out. (short GF)

I have the production rubicon rock rails (no step). So I either need to replace them with something like the Mopar tubular side steps or factory-style running boards or figure out how to augment the rails with a step of some sort.

Lots of options out there for TJs (e.g., Carr super hoop II) but not so much for JKs.

Any suggestion? I can wrench, even drill if necessary, but no welding. Thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum

I will eventually get my Woods Rubi Tubes welded on but I have the same issue as you, I don't weld. The guy that will help me out has been working 60+ hours for some time. They are a little over $200.

There are a lot of choices. If you look at the construction you can tell which are just steps and which are offroad worthy.

The best I can say is decide the function you need and get the ones that best fullfil it.

Look thru the forum vendors websites and see what you come up with.

I know this wasn't really that helpful.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short girlfriends

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Picked up my 08 Rubicon last weekend. When I am not driving it I am pouring through JK-Forum. Good stuff.

I need some advice on making it easier for people to get in/out. (short GF)
Any suggestion? I can wrench, even drill if necessary, but no welding. Thanks
stepladder? wtf just open the door for her like a gentle man and lift her up into it!! end of problem. when u become her husband u can tell her short little ass to get in or stay home. LOL
Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Since I am a girl I have some difficulty getting in and out. However, with time I learned to grab on and pull myself in.............I'm getting good at it. Keep in mind that any side steps you install are subject to dents and possibly being torn off if you decide to do any off roading. Rocks, logs, or anything jutting up or out of a side hill can snag and rip. You might want to consider just using an upside down milk crate, or something similar. If you don't want to wait for someone to climb in so you can pick up the crate and throw it in, just tie a rope to it and whoever uses it to get in can simply pull it in afterwards. A small folding step stool or ladder could work but a milk crate is sturdy and stable.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

IMO.....all steps are worthless if you have a lift, you have to step over them rather than use them as a step..

Just get a set of grab handles....
Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check my last post in this thread....easy, cheap and still working after a year.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...TUPID+QUESTION
Old 12-25-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

I searched through craigslist.org to find the factory side steps. Picked up a clean pair for $260. Just sold them for $200 as my new JK came equipped with the same steps. My 3 young boys and short wife needed help getting in and out, and these worked great. Also blocked the mud/water/slop that flung off the front tires and would spatter the side of the Jeep. Kind of a bummer if you just washed it.

The chrome tubular side steps rust quickly, and they make awful noise when the puddle splash hits them.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 02-22-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

X2 on rock rails. I have kids as well, and I picked up side steps for $100 while saving up for shrockworks rock rails. The side steps work for the kids. But wishing for real armor for my rig.

Toad, your rails looks great.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Freak

Are you looking for steps for a 2-door or 4-door? If a 4-door, I'll sell you my steps. They were on the Jeep for a few months and have no damage to them at all. Here's a shot of them on my rig.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are these from Olympic 4x4 Products, they seem to move in and out if you need them as a step. Kind of cool idea, they seem to offer protection and help getting in.

Quick Reply: Advice about side steps