Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Adding Rubi Suspension

Old 06-28-2007, 03:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Rubi Suspension

All,
Would there be any height benefit to adding a Rubicon suspension to my X or should I just put the money towards a purchased lift kit?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you're trying to keep your Jeep all stock then I would recommend your route, otherwise if you're planning on building your JK up to bigger meats etc.. then I would go aftermarket suspension. The Rubi suspension from my experience rides stiffer than a X or Sahara's suspension.
Good Luck
Old 06-28-2007, 04:38 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget that there are also differences in springs for Jeeps that come with a hardtop from the factory, versus just a softtop. Unless you can get a screaming deal on the Rubi suspension, I'd hold off. The cost/labor/etc vs benefits is not that great. Save up for a decent suspension lift for when you want to go bigger.

But remember, this is YOUR Jeep. Do what you want, what makes YOU happy, just wave as I go by.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys! My thinking was to just add new meats equivalent to the stock Rubi and I thought I read somewhere that the Rubi suspension added some lift compared to the X. It would be nice to get it in the air a tad.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SCF
Don't forget that there are also differences in springs for Jeeps that come with a hardtop from the factory, versus just a softtop. Unless you can get a screaming deal on the Rubi suspension, I'd hold off. The cost/labor/etc vs benefits is not that great. Save up for a decent suspension lift for when you want to go bigger.

But remember, this is YOUR Jeep. Do what you want, what makes YOU happy, just wave as I go by.
Sorry..........but I find it hard to believe that there are differences in springs due to ordering a hardtop or not. Some people order a hardtop a year or two later....does that mean they will have the wrong springs and need to replace them ?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default yes

on the TJ I do believe some companies asked if you had / have a hard top because of the weight, they use a different spring.

its not that you have the 'wrong' spring, its just not 'tuned' to the weight of a hard top... so it may sit 1" or so lower...

maybe 1/2"...
Old 06-29-2007, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Put a rubi suspension on my X and it didn't lift it any.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Russredx,
What kind of ride differences have you experienced, if any?
Old 06-29-2007, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I test drove an x with the normal suspension, and was very surprised about how soft it was. It was better than the car I drove ha. I bought an x with 17's and the heavy duty suspension (which I believe is the same as the Rubi's) and its very much like what others would think of truck suspension. You can feel every bump on the road.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SlyX26
Russredx,
What kind of ride differences have you experienced, if any?
x stuff was softer, but it still rides good.

Quick Reply: Adding Rubi Suspension