Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Accelerator revs up with foot off the pedal

Old 03-04-2015, 04:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accelerator revs up with foot off the pedal

Got a 2013 wrangler sport. Just started acting up at 37,000 mi. With the clutch in and my foot off the accelerator pedal the engine will start to rev up. when I press on the brake it will disengage and come back to normal idle rpms. From what I can see the pedal itself may be the issue. No codes to point me in the right direction. Any ideas? I cant find a diagram for this system anywhere?
Old 03-04-2015, 04:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Don't know if this will help or not, but if you have an Android device, the app Torque and a Bluetooth-OBD port adapter would allow you to get a direct reading of the gas pedal sensor position. You could see what it's sending out to check if it matches engine revs.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does it have cruise control? If the brake pedal switches are messed up, it may think cruise is on when it should be off.

Otherwise it might be a defective drive-by-wire sensor, but then why would the brake pedal make any difference?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewill
Does it have cruise control? If the brake pedal switches are messed up, it may think cruise is on when it should be off.

Otherwise it might be a defective drive-by-wire sensor, but then why would the brake pedal make any difference?
Just speculating here, but I would assume that since the gas pedal is drive-by-wire they have an override from the brakes that says if the brakes are pressed, kill the accelerator. Would seem one of several things they'd do for those folks who can't tell the difference between a gas pedal and a brake pedal, then sue the manufacturer because their vehicle drove through the back of their garage killing their kid. Sorry for the rant. I hate that stupid people can drive.

Quick Reply: Accelerator revs up with foot off the pedal