Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

AC Not Working

Old 07-22-2020, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Not Working

My ‘12 AC quit working yesterday. Was blowing really cold air, stopped at a store, left and the air never worked again...only blows warm/hot air. Looking at the compressor, the clutch isn’t engaged and moving. I can’t find YouTube videos for a 3.6l ac compressor swap, only TJ’s, 3.8l jeeps and chrysler minivans. Is there a fuse dedicated for the compressor/clutch? I only see HVAC front and rear (M11/15 I think).

Anyone swapped a compressor out that can share some insight? What else needs to be changed? Expansion valve, drier, etc? Am I better off finding a professional?

Old 07-22-2020, 12:31 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

So changing the compressor on that isn't going to really be vehicle specific. I've not done it on the jeep, but I have swapped one in my Infiniti commuter car. Getting the compressor off is going to be fairly straightforward.....remove serp belt and unbolt the H and L pressure lines from compressor and then the compressor itself. The issue is evacuating any refrigerant in the system responsibly if it is not already empty. It's often a good idea to replace condenser at the same time. You'd have to borrow a vacuum pump from local auto store to pull vac on the system, and a manifold if you don't have one, then refill with spec qty of refrigerant and oil. It seems intimidating but is pretty straightforward. Chris Fix has a youtube vid on it that is pretty helpful. I'd research just a bit more to make sure you are positive it is the compressor, although doesn't sound good that the clutch is not engaging.

I'd add, replacing all the seals and the expansion valve while you have the system open would be worthwhile as well. Adding some dye when you recharge the system is helpful as well in case you have a leak in the future.

Last edited by resharp001; 07-22-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:53 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

I'd check to see if it is getting voltage to the clutch, and if the clutch coil is an open circuit. It's fused, but you'll have to look that up, or just check everything relevant. Good chance there is a code that will help pin-point the problem if you have an advanced scanner.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

There is also a pressure sensor in the line. Should be very close to the compressor. Perhaps it's come loose or gone bad. If that sensor detects low pressure in the system, the compressor will not activate.

Quick Reply: AC Not Working