Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

AC Noise/Problem

Old 07-20-2020, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Noise/Problem

Recently, my 2009 JKU’s air conditioning has stopped blowing as cold. When the air conditioning is on, I can hear what almost sounds like gas escaping from a canister. It can be pretty loud, and is very audible when the AC fan is on low. The sound is not constant, but goes on and off intermittently. Additionally, my AC is definitely blowing much warmer than it used to. At least once before, it stopped blowing completely while out on a ride (the blower fan was going full blast but nothing was coming out of the vents) but it eventually resumed when I flipped the vent controller switch back and forth.

I took it to a mechanic who briefly checked it out while performing other work, and he said the Freon pressures are perfect.

Today, I noticed that the two passenger side vents are blowing noticeably colder than the two driver side vents.

Hoping for some clues!
Old 07-21-2020, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 479 Likes on 430 Posts

Could be the mixer system diverting hot air into the system while AC is on. I believe the AC system is a control module so may throw a code if it is playing up. If you get cold air on pass side then that tells me the Compressor and basics are working fine. Try shutting off the vehicle and pulling the mixer/blender motor fuse. Then run the AC and see what happens. You will have to get the schematic of the system to see which fuse that is. Go beg your local dealer for the schematic as they have them all. I do the same at one of the locals.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC clutch seized

My ‘12 AC quit working yesterday. Was blowing really cold air, stopped at a store, left and the air never worked again...only blows warm/hot air. Looking at the compressor the clutch isn’t engaged and moving. It was chirping a little a few weeks ago, I guess giving me advanced warning only what’s next to fix!

I can’t find YouTube videos for a 3.6l ac compressor swap, only TJ’s and a couple 2007/9’s.

Anyone swapped one out that can share some insight? What else needs to be changed? Expansion valve, hoses, etc??

Quick Reply: AC Noise/Problem