Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

About stretching a synth. rope

Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About stretching a synth. rope

I don't have to sretch a synth. winch rope like a steel cable. Right?

I will install it this after noon
Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

You need to spool it under tension, otherwise the wraps may get tangled. At least that's been my (albeit limited) experience.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You need to spool it under tension, otherwise the wraps may get tangled. At least that's been my (albeit limited) experience.
What kind of tension?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

If possible, run the line out and hook on to something secure.
Put the jeep in neutral and set the parking brake partway, just enough so the jeep can't roll when pushed by hand.
Reel her in, pulling the Jeep to whatever you hooked on. This will keep the line under tension and you should be fine.

I've been told it's not as big a deal with synthetic as steel.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by horwitzs
If possible, run the line out and hook on to something secure.
Put the jeep in neutral and set the parking brake partway, just enough so the jeep can't roll when pushed by hand.
Reel her in, pulling the Jeep to whatever you hooked on. This will keep the line under tension and you should be fine.

I've been told it's not as big a deal with synthetic as steel.
Stan of Northridge Canada told me to not doing this because it's a synthetic rope (and not a steel cable)
Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Junkie

You need to roll it under tension. You don't HAVE to, but it's recommended. I didn't the first time, pulled a couple rigs, and the rope became FLAT and sandwiched the closer it was to the drum. Doesn't hurt it, but you need to unreel the drum and massage the rope back into shape.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just put my rope on that i got from q-tech and i hooked onto my sons jeep and spooled it in and i was on a good incline so i did not have to set the e-brake so if you have a decent incline hook to someone or a tree and spool it in and you should be good to go
Old 11-18-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
Stan of Northridge Canada told me to not doing this because it's a synthetic rope (and not a steel cable)
If you don't do it (I didn't my first time), then you run the risk of loose inner windings allowing the outer windings under tension to pull under the inner windings. This is exactly what happened to me when I was doing my first winching, losing me about 35 feet of line that became tangled. No big deal, but to get the line untangled, I had to hook up to a tree and forcefully back up the JK to pull the line free from its entanglement. So, not the same as stretching a steel cable, but you still need good tension on the line when you spool it in. Or, as I said previously, that's been my albeit limited experience.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
Might not tangle as easily as steel, but it IS a winch line, it's meant to be pulled on!

Quick Reply: About stretching a synth. rope