Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

? about Rubi shocks for smoother ride

Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by echofoxtrot
Yeah it would cause more wear than normal. How much depends on a lot of factors. As for the wheels it's more weight on the axle and movement of the axle is what you feel going over rough terrian.

Only weight suspended on the springs will smooth out the ride.
So what is causing the extra wear? The weight of the wheels and tires or something in the suspension? Also wha factors does it depend on?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vibration and extra force being transmitted through the steering components etc. This could bring your alignment out of spec and/or loosen your linkages. I had a ZJ that went through two track bars and eventually a sway bar partly because I flew over rough roads too quickley.

It could be the wheels, tires, and suspension all playing a part. You would have to see a lot of rough roads for this to be significant. The factors you can change to help prevent this are to simply drive slower, keep all bolts torqued to spec and upgrade wear prone parts (which I see you have already done). Remember, Force = mass x acceleration, reduce one or both and you will reduce the wear on your Jeep.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi

Well that explains a lot. We have bad roads here with lots of potholes especially after this last snow storm..

I have had alignment go out of spec and a couple trackbar bushings go bad. That is why I upgraded to all beefier parts and also I checked torque spec on everything every 1500 miles. I don't really go too fast on local roads, usually around 45 mph.

I wish jeep made some stock spec black aluminum wheels.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you. Those steel wheels you have look great, shiny wheels don't look right on a 4x4.

Hopefully the OP got something out of this also, haha.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Jedi

Hopefully there is a lot of good info here.

Quick Reply: ? about Rubi shocks for smoother ride