Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

? about Rubi shocks for smoother ride

Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Dude, you have 2 solid axles....your X's ride is about as soft as it can possibly be unless you look into air ride suspension, then you can try to dial it in to your liking and needs.
I agree, my ride was smoothest stock. The more stuff I added the rougher the ride got. Even changing to heavy steel wheels and different tires made the ride much different.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Dav
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?

Instead of going the whole shocks and springs route and all the ass o c ate ed expence that goes along with that.... why wouldn't you just change your tires to a squishy touring tire and if you do want to go offroad buy a set of steels and some mudders and swap them out when you need too.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Dav
Instead of going the whole shocks and springs route and all the ass o c ate ed expence that goes along with that.... why wouldn't you just change your tires to a squishy touring tire and if you do want to go offroad buy a set of steels and some mudders and swap them out when you need too.
I wonder if a street tire would make a big difference?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

The difference between a Goodyear Wrangler SR-A and a BFGoodrich Mudterrian T/A is pretty big. But the difference between the Goodyear and a touring tire wouldn't be so great. I imagine some increase in "suppleness" and decrease in road noise would be possible though.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by echofoxtrot
The difference between a Goodyear Wrangler SR-A and a BFGoodrich Mudterrian T/A is pretty big. But the difference between the Goodyear and a touring tire wouldn't be so great. I imagine some increase in "suppleness" and decrease in road noise would be possible though.
What about the difference between and all terrain and touring?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would say there would be a big difference between those two styles of tires. The all terrains are still heavily compromised towards off-road performance. Off road biased tires also generally have stronger sidewalls than touring and that would contribute to the ride quality.

I change tires every spring and fall. 245/75R16 Uniroyal Tiger Paw (Ice and Snow) and 255/75R17 BFG Mudterrains are what I use. The Jeep has a different personalitly with each set. The Uniroyals make the Jeep particuarly car like, while the BFGs tend to give a more jarring impact with bumps, the steering is lighter, and the Jeep wanders a little more.

Changing the tires didn't seem make as big of a difference as changing the suspension did though.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Jedi

I would say there would be a big difference between those two styles of tires. The all terrains are still heavily compromised towards off-road performance. Off road biased tires also generally have stronger sidewalls than touring and that would contribute to the ride quality.

I change tires every spring and fall. 245/75R16 Uniroyal Tiger Paw (Ice and Snow) and 255/75R17 BFG Mudterrains are what I use. The Jeep has a different personalitly with each set. The Uniroyals make the Jeep particuarly car like, while the BFGs tend to give a more jarring impact with bumps, the steering is lighter, and the Jeep wanders a little more.

Changing the tires didn't seem make as big of a difference as changing the suspension did though.
What you just described is how my Jeep drives. It also shakes over frost heaves. Not death wobble cause it stops the second I am over them. When I had stock SRAs the ride was car like..
Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

When my Jeep was stock I took my grandfather for a spin, he drives a Buick Riviera and even he commented on how good the ride was.

It's like I've gone from driving a loaded dump truck to an unloaded one. If you've never riden in an unladen truck it's about the worst ride imaginable. Which is one good reason they often have air suspended driver's seats. If you hit a washboard section you feel like your going to shake right off the road. If you loaded your Jeep up to your max gross weight it would in theory improve your ride. The only other option is getting lighter duty suspension and tires, since the HD stuff resists compression to the point that it transmits everything to the rest of the vehicle rather than isolating it.

Avoid LT tires and go for P if you want your spine to like you!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:08 PM
JK Jedi

When my Jeep was stock I took my grandfather for a spin, he drives a Buick Riviera and even he commented on how good the ride was.

It's like I've gone from driving a loaded dump truck to an unloaded one. If you've never riden in an unladen truck it's about the worst ride imaginable. Which is one good reason they often have air suspended driver's seats. If you hit a washboard section you feel like your going to shake right off the road. If you loaded your Jeep up to your max gross weight it would in theory improve your ride. The only other option is getting lighter duty suspension and tires, since the HD stuff resists compression to the point that it transmits everything to the rest of the vehicle rather than isolating it.

Avoid LT tires and go for P if you want your spine to like you!
Yes thats exactly how my Jeep feels and it does feel a little better with a full tank of gas vs. empty. Does this rough ride harm parts anymore than normal? Also could heavy steel wheels contribute to it?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah it would cause more wear than normal. How much depends on a lot of factors. As for the wheels it's more weight on the axle and movement of the axle is what you feel going over rough terrian.

Only weight suspended on the springs will smooth out the ride.

Quick Reply: ? about Rubi shocks for smoother ride