Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

? about Rubi shocks for smoother ride

Old 08-04-2009, 01:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about Rubi shocks for smoother ride

Hello all. I have a stock '07 Unlimited and am looking to make the ride on the road a bit smoother. I've read that the stock Rubicon shocks are smoother. If that's true, should I also use the Rubicon springs, or will they be the same? I don't use the Jeep off road much at all, so I am just looking to improve the ride on the road. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

the rubi springs and shocks will most likely give you a stiffer ride not softer
Old 08-04-2009, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a friend with an '07 X. I have an '09 Rubi. His rides much smoother than mine, especially after he did his lift with new shocks (I think it was a Rubicon Express 2" spacer)
Old 08-04-2009, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I have a similar question... should I upgrade to the Rubi springs? What is everyone's opinion. I am not looking for a smoother ride just a better Jeep quality.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Oh I see. So, the Rubicons come with stiffer suspension. Well, it's a good thing I asked. That being the case, are there any options for me to "wussify" my suspension a bit? I love the versatility of the Jeep with the top, but I just find that I don't take it off road. So, that being the case, I'd like to make it a bit smoother on the road. I appolgize in advance to all those who I am offending with the admitedly sad question.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fortsmith
Oh I see. So, the Rubicons come with stiffer suspension. Well, it's a good thing I asked. That being the case, are there any options for me to "wussify" my suspension a bit? I love the versatility of the Jeep with the top, but I just find that I don't take it off road. So, that being the case, I'd like to make it a bit smoother on the road. I appolgize in advance to all those who I am offending with the admitedly sad question.

Find some springs from a base 2dr X with soft top and no towing package. Chrysler has several spring rates out that very by vehicle set-up. The ones just mentioned would be the "softest".
Old 08-04-2009, 05:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
Find some springs from a base 2dr X with soft top and no towing package. Chrysler has several spring rates out that very by vehicle set-up. The ones just mentioned would be the "softest".
That may open the door up for more body roll, no? Also, your payload capacity might decrease slightly.

Maybe just try some new quality shocks? Bilsteins perhaps????
Old 10-11-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ohlhockeyguy
I guess I have a similar question... should I upgrade to the Rubi springs? What is everyone's opinion. I am not looking for a smoother ride just a better Jeep quality.
Ha. Jeep and quality in the same sentence? That struck me funny. Anyway, My 07 Rubicon 2 Door rides real stiff. I'm thinking of upgrading the suspension soon.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Jedi

I upgraded from stock X springs to the Rubi springs. They are much stiffer.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I switched my x unlimited to rubi shocks just about a month ago and have been happy with the change. The stock x shocks are junk. When I took them off I could easily compress them and they didn't have much resistance. Also they don't rebound very smoothly. The Rubi shocks on the other hand are much stiffer and rebound well. The difference equals into a better ride with less wheel hop on bumps and less lean in the corners. If you have the rubi shocks, switch them and throw the x shocks into the trash where they belong.

Quick Reply: ? about Rubi shocks for smoother ride