Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

87 or 91 Gas?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 or 91

When I purchased my 2008 Jeep Rubicon JKU, I asked the same question. I went to the owners manual, which read to use 87 only. It also stated that using premium gasoline would not provide a benefit over high quality regular gasoline, and in some cases may result in poorer preformance.

As a result, I have used only 87 (even in the summer time in the Mojave desert) without any problems.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

I won't put shell gas in my Jk anymore. I lost 1.5 mpgs from the chevron gas I normally use.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll use 89 just for the slight bump in octane to help avoid pre-detonation.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chrislh
I won't put shell gas in my Jk anymore. I lost 1.5 mpgs from the chevron gas I normally use.
You might want to read my post from yesterday.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 12thman

You might want to read my post from yesterday.
Interesting. Guess the additive makes a difference.

Good info!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Krynn
Cheap gas = WalMart, RaceTrac, BubbaJoe's QuickieFuel, etc. High-quality gas = Chevron, Exxon, Shell, etc. The fuel that you get at the discount gas stations are cheaper for several reasons, one of them being that they don't add fuel system cleaners to their gas, regardless of what octane level it is.
Not true. (1) All gasolines, regardless of brand, are required to include a minimum additive package to keep fuel systems clean and comply with federal and state emissions requirements. That is a regulatory mandate. (2) All gasolines, regardless of brand, buy their additives from a single source in Houston, TX. (3) Some additive packages are brand-proprietary (like Shell or Chevron-Texaco), but it's all marketing hype. Any differences from brand to brand are neglible. (4) All suppliers - and hence retail vendors - share the same gasoline pipelines and distribution terminals. You're buying the same gas at the local Stop & Rob as you are at the big name marquees.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

A lot of factors can change MPGs. Weight, temp, speed, terrain, wind, etc. I think you would need to run several tanks of each to get a good idea if a particular fuel or octane works better or not. I work with two guys that have F-150s with the eco-boost engine that swear a 3 MPG increase with 89 octane even though the owners manual calls for 87 minimum.

Quick Reply: 87 or 91 Gas?