Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

87 or 91 Gas?

Old 11-22-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless your pinging, get regular gas and throw some seafoam in the tank every now and then. Just my $0.02
Old 11-23-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by duneslider
You know those trucks are compartmentalized right? Just cause it was the same truck doesn't mean its the same gas from the same tank. 7-11 buys fuel from others, they don't have their own refinery. Usually one refinery provides fuel for several companies and each company has their proprietary detergents and other additives.
Yup. What he said. I have a friend who works for Exxon Refinery. He said they all run the same gas but will add different additives at the time they fill the tanker truck for that particular gas co.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Titanium Dad
Don't buy 89 octane, it's just a splash blend of premium and regular.
This is what I have been running in all my vehicles for a very long time.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesWyatt
Couple of things here. All things being equal, higher octane gas actually contains less energy and will not increase your mileage. However, all things are not always equal, and high octane gas may contain less Ethanol and provide a modest bump. I drove a Prius for 4 years with a long daily commute, and I can tell you that when you're talking a small percentage change in gas quality, it translates into a much bigger difference when your vehicle can is hitting the 47-52 MPG range. Just the change from summer to winter gas blends every year had a big impact. FYI Shell makes some of the highest energy gas out there. There are others, but I always got better results with Shell gas.

I've found with my Jeep, it seems to like 91 better. More power. No pings. Probably less ethanol in the 91, and I get 2 more miles per gallon consistently. It may say you can use 87, but I am highly suspect that the engine performs best with it. It would be a huge sales hit if on top of 15-17 MPG, they also told you to run premium gas.
I agree using 87 I got the pinging. I did use mid-grade and that did help. No ping and better response, but I use 91. Did not pay attention to mileage.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

I can barely afford the 87! 91 just seems like a rip off.

I have a friend that used to work at a gas station. He said if they fill up the 87 tank and have lots left over, sometimes the will put the 87 in the 91 tank.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsmith44
Okay weird question...does anyones jeep prefer bp fuels over shell? I ran a tank of 91 shell and a tank of 91 from bp and the difference was quite noticable...is my baby girl picky
I've experienced this. For some reason, Shell gets me more per tank. Which worked better for you?
Old 12-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by suicideking
I can barely afford the 87! 91 just seems like a rip off.

I have a friend that used to work at a gas station. He said if they fill up the 87 tank and have lots left over, sometimes the will put the 87 in the 91 tank.
I'm sure this happens more than we think. These companies are all about profit
Old 12-08-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 93.

It works best with the Tow Tune I am running. And it does noticeably burn slower than 87. My girl's JK burned way more gas on 87 on a trip that I take many times with my Jeep.

And plus... 87 used to be 4.00 a gallon, and I was so used to paying that, I have no problem paying 3.80 for 93 now.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jbsmith44
Okay weird question...does anyones jeep prefer bp fuels over shell? I ran a tank of 91 shell and a tank of 91 from bp and the difference was quite noticable...is my baby girl picky
BP fuel is the same you'll see at ARCO.... I won't fill my tank with ARCO gas. What were your results and what was noticable?

Shell, Mobil, 76 Union, Chevron ... most top-notch tuners will tell you get get best results from Shell and less desirable results from Chevron. I run Chevron only because it has Techron additive and keeps the injectors clean.

I guess whatever floats your boat...

Old 12-08-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never use ARCO. I once had a mechanic tell me he's seen vehicles ruined simply by using ARCO gas. I don't mind Chevron, 76, or Shell. Mobil is ok, but I notice significant improvements with Shell & Chevron the most.
Sometimes I'll buy CostCo gas if I'm right there and need to fill up, but I don't know who their fuel provider is

Quick Reply: 87 or 91 Gas?