Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

87 or 91 Gas?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was an operator at a newer Shell refinery for several years....several things about our premium - can't speak for others.

Premium fuel is expensive to make as it has to run through a reformer typically using very expensive platinum catalysts and high heat. Energy content is typically 2% more than our other gasolines. Our premium has no ethanol added (Canada).

At the loading terminal is where the additives are introduced. This allows other companies to pick up at our terminals but not get the ad paks. Gasolines delivered to name brand service stations or picked up by thier own trucks will get their own formulations through the load rack as they have thier own additive tanks on our site. The ad-pak formulations highly variable between companies although always compatible with each other.

Our premium fuels get double the amount of chemical additives when compared to our regular fuels.

Premium fuel therefore is a higher performance product. Slightly higher energy density, double the ad-pak and no ethanol (in my area).

I run my own 09 JK on regular but in high heat conditions last summer I had to fill premium due to very obvious pinging on grades while travelling in BC and Eastern Washington.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember when it was four gallons for a buck at the local Sinclair station. That was "leaded" regular of course. Unleaded was called "white" gas at Atlantic Richfield stations for 31 cents and they did the pumping, checked your oil, fan belt condition, and cleaned your windshield. I miss those days.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Quatsino
Was an operator at a newer Shell refinery for several years....several things about our premium - can't speak for others.

Premium fuel is expensive to make as it has to run through a reformer typically using very expensive platinum catalysts and high heat. Energy content is typically 2% more than our other gasolines. Our premium has no ethanol added (Canada).

At the loading terminal is where the additives are introduced. This allows other companies to pick up at our terminals but not get the ad paks. Gasolines delivered to name brand service stations or picked up by thier own trucks will get their own formulations through the load rack as they have thier own additive tanks on our site. The ad-pak formulations highly variable between companies although always compatible with each other.

Our premium fuels get double the amount of chemical additives when compared to our regular fuels.

Premium fuel therefore is a higher performance product. Slightly higher energy density, double the ad-pak and no ethanol (in my area).

I run my own 09 JK on regular but in high heat conditions last summer I had to fill premium due to very obvious pinging on grades while travelling in BC and Eastern Washington.

Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for the information.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Quatsino's right on, I work on semi's and we have a few transports we work on and they mix the additives at the stations. There's two places in this area to load and all the transports load for everyone out of them... It starts out the same gas, but its the additives that makes the better gas...
Old 11-22-2011, 02:49 AM
JK Newbie

Howdy,
My 2011 runs better with the 91 octane gas. i had a z71 Chevy and had the computer flashed. I talked with the company that did the flash and they told me that the knock sensors would allow the timing to advance until knock was sensed. The timing was controlled by the sensors. I think the Jeep may be the same. It sure seems more peppy with the 91 than the 87 octane. By the way, back in 1962 I raced a 409 Chevy and 100 octane leaded was $ .29 a gallon. Have a goodun!!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I always laugh at what people say about gas. I work in an oil refinery and when the regular unleaded gas leaves our plant its at 89-91 octane. Federal law requires it to compensate what may be in the tank in the ground at the gas station. Don't buy 89 octane, it's just a splash blend of premium and regular. Same as regular basically. The only real difference in gas is the premium. It does have a higher octane but just like all gas now, it's blended with 10% ethanol like the rest. So it's not pure either. Save the cash and by regular. It's basically all the same. Just like motor oil.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Titanium Dad
It's basically all the same. Just like motor oil.
I see another debate coming!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I only run 87 octane. I've run 91 for a few months and didn't see any improvements in drivability or engine noises. Just my personell opinion. It's a bit pricey anyways, so I'll stick to 87 in my JK.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

I hear you on the oil refiner stuff, but my JK pings if I run 87...I have the 87 tune on my superchips, but still even without it, it started pinging around 45k miles...thoughts??
Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jobber Jim
I remember when it was four gallons for a buck at the local Sinclair station. That was "leaded" regular of course. Unleaded was called "white" gas at Atlantic Richfield stations for 31 cents and they did the pumping, checked your oil, fan belt condition, and cleaned your windshield. I miss those days.
Must have been in the early-70s...

I worked at a Mobil station between 1972-74... remember the energy crisis? I watched gas prices double overnight.

Ever have the chance to sit in a gas line for 2 hours? I bet you don't miss the days when Arabs had us by the balls. I have many stories about those days... if you ever want to see people at their worst, just tell them there's no gas in the underground tanks. I never had to wait in line so it wasn't an issue for me.

Everything I pumped was leaded gas until 1974-75, when catalytic converters were introduced. Fueled up many 'Cuda 440 six packs and Camaro big blocks - including my own.

Cheers to the good old days...

Last edited by m998dna; 11-22-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 87 or 91 Gas?