Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

6Spd stalls when using clutch and no gas??

Old 11-07-2006, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bLITZ
you need to depress the clutch to start in a manual jeep now... I heard somewhere that they were going to over ride that in 4-lo???
You can't remove the fuse anymore to bypass the clutch safety? Dang!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

According to several videos I have watched from the unveiling work camp you can still crank in 4 lo with out the clutch. I still don't have mine yet. So I really don't know yet.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's because I've never been wheelin' yet...But why would you want to start the vehicle in gear???
Old 01-05-2007, 03:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CHOPPER
Maybe it's because I've never been wheelin' yet...But why would you want to start the vehicle in gear???
if your nose is 40%, and your tail is 10ft from your planet, you don't want to roll back at all. think high school drivers ed hill starts...but with everything that is involved (and frequently hazardous) with driving off road.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I guess it would be a bit tough to be stepping on the brake and then while you start to give it some gas you have to not only release the brake (with the same foot) but engage the clutch as well...Tricky

So what do you do?...Leave it in it's lowest gear then when you start it you are just dealing with the brake pedal and the throttle?
Old 01-05-2007, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can always engage the e-brake as it is now right in center console to hold the vehicle while you start and let the clutch engage. A little trick i learned back in they day learning to drive and starting on very steep hills. Keeps you from rolling at all.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CHOPPER
Yeah I guess it would be a bit tough to be stepping on the brake and then while you start to give it some gas you have to not only release the brake (with the same foot) but engage the clutch as well...Tricky

So what do you do?...Leave it in it's lowest gear then when you start it you are just dealing with the brake pedal and the throttle?
I never did this myself, but I have heard of people using the starter motor to get their tire/tiress over a tough obstacle that stalled them, then restart when in a less precarious position. I don't rock crawl, soI don't generally have this issue.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't even think of the E-brake.
I guess what it boils down to is practice and experiance.
I have heard of people using the starter motor to get their tire/tiress over a tough obstacle that stalled them, then restart when in a less precarious position.
I would be affraid of cooking the starter, but I guess if your in a jam you take your chances and do what you gotta do, but that would be a last resort in my book.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:19 AM
JK Newbie

Bah, somebody'll come up with a hand throttle sometime or another. A man made it, a man can make it better.

Cough cough (get to work, aftermarket) cough cough.

Your signature is great, Chopper!

Last edited by Wladziu; 01-06-2007 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

I see the point with what you guys are saying, and it does suck. Just wanted to say that. I realize I sound like Mr. Super Doody CJ most of the time. I don't mean it.

Quick Reply: 6Spd stalls when using clutch and no gas??