Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

6 speed shifting question

Old 06-11-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by sforen
Was curious what everybodies thoughts were in regards to what RPM's to shift at. My father in law is telling me to shift between 3k to 3500, I am usually shifting at 2k to 2500.

I get better gas mileage running it between 2k to 2500. However, my father in law is stating that the jeep runs better when you are running it at a higher rpm minus the gas consumption.

Thanks for any help in advance
Really it depends on a lot of factors, like whether you're trying for power or economy or somewhere in-between. What with the higher gas prices we've been having, I've been trying to short-shift at 2,000 rpm but this is below the power band so you'll be accelerating relatively slowly; however, I've also seen a 10% improvement in gas mileage. The problem is that when you're running the AC, your power is sapped even farther and the JK feels even more sluggish.

That said, my normal power-band shifting was at 3,000 RPM for 1st and 2nd, 2500 for 3rd and 4th and roughly 2250 for 5th and 6th. As long as I kept my top speed below 65 mph and no AC, I averaged 20-21mpg on the highway and about 17.5mpg in-town. My 2,000 rpm short shift doesn't improve my highway mileage but my in-town mileage crept up to 18.7 and I've been pretty happy with my Jeep.

Love the fact it can handle the Blue trails at Rousch Creek still factory stock.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blakspire
You will burn synchros and grind gears if you aren't spot on. Save the wear on your transmission and use the clutch. I dont know where you get "Most" from, my guess is the drivers that run company trucks. An owner-operator would never do that to his own equipment. Grew up in a trucking family, and matching gears is a novelty to do when youre bored and trying to stay awake, not a common thing.
Semis dont have synchros for the most part, at least not the eaton trannies my father used to run, so it wasn't as huge of a concern.
You know, sometimes when your clutch isn't working (like the plates are worn , throwout bearing or simple cable snaps) doing the hard shift like he described is the only way to get around until you can get it fixed. It can be done, you just don't want to force it.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

You will burn synchros and grind gears if you aren't spot on. Save the wear on your transmission and use the clutch. I dont know where you get "Most" from, my guess is the drivers that run company trucks. An owner-operator would never do that to his own equipment. Grew up in a trucking family, and matching gears is a novelty to do when youre bored and trying to stay awake, not a common thing.
Semis dont have synchros for the most part, at least not the eaton trannies my father used to run, so it wasn't as huge of a concern.
You'll burn syncros and grind gears if you suck. There is a moment right after you let off the gas that the Jeep will just fall out of gear. Hold pressure on the next gate until it falls in. No big deal. Is it the best method? Meh, I've got a buddy that swears by it. Hasn't replaced the clutch in his TJ yet. 180k+ miles. Do I do it? Enough to be proficient, but not regularly.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by superjk10
2500rpm is my shift point sumtime i like to bring it to 4500rpm tho lol.. here in town everywhere I go is pretty much flat.. I never use the first gear unless im totally stopped in a hill or offroading.. am I the only one??
No you are not
I dont use first gear as well .
Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 PM
JK Freak

i shift at 2000 for normal driving. but i have 4.88 and 33's
Old 06-12-2011, 01:46 AM
JK Newbie

Betwwen 1500 and 2000, but its a Diesel.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I dont know where you get "Most" from, my guess is the drivers that run company trucks. An owner-operator would never do that to his own equipment. Grew up in a trucking family, and matching gears is a novelty to do when youre bored and trying to stay awake, not a common thing.
I drive truck for a living, and I don't know anyone more then 6 months out of school that uses the clutch except for starting off, or to clutch it out of gear if shifting up or down a grade.

Can you float the gears in a Jeep/pickup/car though? Ya, would I? Not unless you're good at it, you will destroy syncro's if you don't know what you're doing, and helical cut gears aren't as forgiving as straight cut gears. When I took an 11 for a test drive the other day it took me a couple blocks to realize i wasn't using the clutch out of habit from work and had no problems.

But knowing how to do it can get you home if the clutch won't disengage.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default rpms

I found that shifting around about 2200 rpm is a good comprise on my jeep. 18+ in town. Sure cars race past me but I see them at the next light.

Originally Posted by Vulpine
Really it depends on a lot of factors, like whether you're trying for power or economy or somewhere in-between. What with the higher gas prices we've been having, I've been trying to short-shift at 2,000 rpm but this is below the power band so you'll be accelerating relatively slowly; however, I've also seen a 10% improvement in gas mileage. The problem is that when you're running the AC, your power is sapped even farther and the JK feels even more sluggish.

That said, my normal power-band shifting was at 3,000 RPM for 1st and 2nd, 2500 for 3rd and 4th and roughly 2250 for 5th and 6th. As long as I kept my top speed below 65 mph and no AC, I averaged 20-21mpg on the highway and about 17.5mpg in-town. My 2,000 rpm short shift doesn't improve my highway mileage but my in-town mileage crept up to 18.7 and I've been pretty happy with my Jeep.

Love the fact it can handle the Blue trails at Rousch Creek still factory stock.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
2000 to 2500 for me. If I need to merge or get up to speed quickly, I will do 3000 to 3500.

Our minivan motors are high revvers and can handle 4000 rpm with ease. They just suck up gas more!

seriously? 4K high rpm????
Old 06-13-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I take mine to redline if I need to pass on a 2 lane road. 4th gear 80mph

Quick Reply: 6 speed shifting question