Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

6 speed benzel question

Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed benzel question

My benzel around the shifter has broken loose. I have read the other post on how to fix them. My Problem is the lower ring has broken loose on the side by the dash. Does anyone know how to get the front end off and how to get the broken end back on once it is fixed. I like the way the ones in the other posts look with the rivits. Also the lower rubber boot on the tranny is not attached anymore. I think all this happend when they replaced my rear seals ( 3500 Miles)
Old 05-06-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I follow you.

pry the bezel up at the back; slide a putty knife or something under the bezel, it'll pop up. Then slide it back, it hooks under the front of the console. the knob just pulls off (really; pull HARD. really. you won't hurt anything) Once it's apart you'll see what to do.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

I sort of had the same problem, but I broke the bezel ring off while installing my stereo.

I took it to the dealer and told them it snapped off when it was cold outside (i live in canada, it gets cold here) and they replaced it under waranty.

hope this helps
Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

I had for ages what I thought was a dash rattle, the dealer finally found it was the bezel around the shifter. All the clips underneath broken. Clearly a result of the mad shaking the shifter does when on rough tracks. The dealer told me it does not disassemble, so they broke it away, supplied new incluiding a new shifting stick as well.

The rough ride from the stock suspension I'm convinced will continue to give me rattles in my Jeep.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dealer broke it and tried to bs me and fix it with hot glue. That lasted 7 hours and the whole thing fell apart. Rather than getting another cheaply put together plastic setup, I fixed it with metal. Very easy and cheap to do.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coastie kyle
Dealer broke it and tried to bs me and fix it with hot glue. That lasted 7 hours and the whole thing fell apart. Rather than getting another cheaply put together plastic setup, I fixed it with metal. Very easy and cheap to do.

Where did you get the metal ring??
Old 05-06-2010, 10:18 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. After looking at it more and compairing it to some of the pics here it looks like the front tabs that snap the assembly to the console have broken off. I will probably go back to the dealer and see if they will replace it under warrenty. Then I will modify it before it can break again.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its not metal. Its the stock plastic pieces all bolted together with little bolts and nuts.

edit- sorry I wasnt very clear. What I ment by "fix it with metal", was "fix the cheap plastic with metal bolts instead of strange, weak plastic things...."
Old 06-18-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

so the bezel just pops out and those security hex bolts are for looks not function? do i pry from the back or front first?
Old 06-19-2010, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coastie kyle

I did the same thing as this except I used black button head bolts... looks better then factory and Is more functional. Just drill out the plastic rivets.

Quick Reply: 6 speed benzel question