Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

5000 mile update - 2012 Rubicon Unlimited

Old 10-06-2011, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5000 mile update - 2012 Rubicon Unlimited

I have been lurking around for a while, and wanted to start off by introducing myself with a "long term" update of the new 2012 JKU Rubicon. To start, after a wheeling trip in Moab in my FJ Cruiser, and a rented JK, my dad decided that he needed a 4wd to have in the mountains of NC, so he picked up a then-new 6-speed 2008 2 door Rubicon, which he was happy with, but ultimately decided that he needed a bit more room. He really enjoyed my 2007 FJ Cruiser, and we worked out a trade/payment situation: He traded the JK for a new 2012 JKU Rubicon which I ended up with, and he and my mother would keep my FJ Cruiser to have as their SUV. I was extremely pleased with the 5.5 years and 78,000 miles on the FJ, only having to replace the front brakes and regular oil changes. I go into the JKU hoping to get somewhere near the same service record as the previous FJ.

We ordered the 2012 Rubicon "triple white," very similar to the 'Mopar Overland JKU' Bright white - body, top, and fenders. I really like the looks, kind of like a 'cheap' G-wagon. I opted for the 6-speed, leather, and navigation as well. I really missed leather, and wanted heated seats, and heated mirrors as I live in Western Colorado and both are near necessities. I was also excited about the extra room and the ability to fold the seats flat to sleep in the back. Setting up a tent in cold, dark rain flat sucks. I wound up testing this out last night, and with a bit of tweaking, it should be perfect! The gap between the rear seats and rear floor needs something to fill the space, and a thermarest doesn't alleviate this issue. A car camping mattress would be ideal for this.

Anyway, he picked it up, and he and my mom met me in Kansas City for the exchange. Having driven his a few times, I was just so-so with the motor. Aside from power, my biggest problem was the "surge" when descending steep grades off road; it would never hold speed. Just when you are comfortable at 2000rpm going downhill in the rocks, it would quickly try to make it's way up to 3k rpm, and not hold the desired speed, where my FJ was great at this kind of technical descent. After a 20 mile shakedown ride in the woods a week after ownership, this motor does not have the aforementioned issue, thankfully. 1st gear with a 4:1 ratio is LOW, and the jeep is easy to control on the steep down hill's.

Jump to 5000 miles. I just had an oil change (I know, a bit late, but I have been traveling around the NW and Canada for a while, so finding a dealership that could do it "right now" was hard) and happily, everything is/was in order. As many people have said before, once the motor gets past the break in period, it really comes to life. 80 mph on the interstate is a breeze. The Colorado mountains along the I-70 corridor do require some shifting, but keeping up with most traffic is a non-issue. Traveling from CO to Seattle, B.C., Portland, and places in-between, the Jeep has been great: Smooth ride, comfortable, plenty of power, and adequate space. As with anything new, there are a lot of nay-sayer's, and for all those, I would really encourage driving one that has at least 1000 miles on it, because it REALLY makes a big difference once broken in.

Fuel economy has been decent: Averaging 17.8. Best has been 19.3, and worst 15.2 (off road) I am pretty easy with the right foot, and cruising above 70 with 4.11's and a 6-speed isn't the best for those numbers. At 80mph, you are spinning around 2700rpm. The Auto may be a better option for a daily driver, but with the potential for upgrades later, I think that I made the right choice. I really didn't know what to think about the hill start assist, and although I don't notice it too often, it is a nice luxury when stopped on San Francisco style hills and you can't see the lights of the car behind you. Might as well enjoy technology if 'ya got it!

I hope this helps answer some questions that others may be having about a first purchase, or transitioning from another Jeep into a new one! Hopefully I can get some pictures on here pretty soon of the journey.

Cheers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0767.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	220278Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0806.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	220279Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0862.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	220280Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1022.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	220281Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1029.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	220282
Old 10-07-2011, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on your Rubi!

I came from a 2007 fj that I had nothing but trouble with. 2 clutch replacements(continual chirping), throwout bearing(chirping issue), new engine block (oil leak), front driveshaft cv failures, power door lock replacement, new driver seat, etc.

All fixed under warranty. When the warranty was 500 miles from up I traded it at the jeep dealer. Hoping to have better luck with my 2011 Rubicon unlimited. So far at 10k miles no major issues besides a top leak which was fixed under warranty!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

Nice write up. I went with 11 as i could not wait for 12. 10k, many mods, 35s, lots of offloading. No probs so far. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm really liking the all white. Looks very expedition-like. Give us more pics!!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Nice! Mine is a 2011 -stock so far. Love it!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep JK.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	220471

Love my white Jeep too man. Get lots of compliments
Old 10-07-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Currenty live in Denver, and driving my 2012 JKU to Houston. 6mt with 650 miles now, and averaging 18.5 mpg mixed city/highway driving. I went from FJ to JK numerous times, and this new JK engine is what it should have been in the beginning. I will only trade now if JK adds all wheel drive, like my 6mt FJ had.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JkJared
Fj's look like a bag of a$$holes. Wranglers would tear them a new one while toyotas poor excuse to make an off road vehicle sucks farts.
It's too bad that so many off-roader's have this mentality, isn't it? At the end of the day, we all want to get to the same place and experience the same things. I really don't think that you would have the same pompous mentality if a Toyota was the only thing for 20 miles around that could pull you out of the predicament that you got yourself into, or maybe you would just want to stay stuck for another day or two and wait for a Jeep to come along. Sure the IFS on the FJ doesn't give the flex of a Rubi, but I certainly don't have near the confidence to speed down mountain roads that I did in my FJ either.

Just in case you haven't looked in the past 30 years, there are plenty of other manufactures producing really great, capable rides. Why do you think that the JK is even offered as a 4 door now, and the updates that have been done in the past 2 years? Jeep has to stay competitive with what is out, mi amigo.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Nicely put. I too came from a 2008 FJ Cruiser which was a great vehicle. Sometimes I really miss it. However, I love my Jeep aside from the lack of power. Its such a unique vehicle and truely the last of a dying breed. I think about which one I would want to still be driving 20 years from now and the Jeep is the one for me. But Ill wheel with FJ's any day.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice writeup

+1 on that triple white. That looks sweeeeeettttt!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

So glad I too ordered the triple white- looks fantastic.

Quick Reply: 5000 mile update - 2012 Rubicon Unlimited