Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

500 miles -- change to synthetic oil?

Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by clubber
Why would break in stop ....?
Because there won't be enough friction. "Stop" is hyperbole on my part, but not by much.

In the early 80s a close friend who regularly rebuilds Firebird motors as a hobby rebuilt his wife's 100,000 mile engine in her Oldsmobile. It had been switched to Mobil 1 very early in its life. He was curious if the rumors about no wear with synthetic motor oil were true, so he mic'd every part in the engine. He said virtually component was within new factory tolerances. No wear after nearly 100,000 miles. No wear, no break in.

There's more to that story. After rebuilding the motor he couldn't get the rings to seat in it (now with conventional oil). It was burning oil like crazy. A rep at his parts supplier said he'd had a similar problem after rebuilding a motor that had run Mobil 1. So my friend decided to take his wife's Olds out on the interstate and drive it at high rev's. After several hours, the oil finally stopped burning. His conclusion: Mobil 1 seeps into the walls of the cylinders and reduces the friction dramatically, even after the engine has been rebuilt and the Mobil 1 replaced with conventional oil.

mark d.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I come from a long line of mechanics in my family. We use Castrol Syntec which is half synthetic. Because you really dont need full synthetic in this engine. You really only need full syntheic in a performance engine. (Just my two cents) not trying to start an argument.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert by no means, but it makes sense to me.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:51 AM
JK Newbie

I havent had a chance to check myself yet, but wouldnt it come from the factory with break in oil? If so I would definately want to wait for the normal interval to change it.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by count dogula
I havent had a chance to check myself yet, but wouldnt it come from the factory with break in oil? If so I would definately want to wait for the normal interval to change it.
It does not come with break in oil........also: the engine is broken in at 3-500 miles....................
Old 07-11-2007, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by clubber
It does not come with break in oil........also: the engine is broken in at 3-500 miles....................
Are you sure? I am not trying to be argumentative or anything but where did you get that information? Sorry, I am genuinely curious. It just seems really odd to not use some type of break in oil.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by count dogula
Are you sure? I am not trying to be argumentative or anything but where did you get that information? Sorry, I am genuinely curious. It just seems really odd to not use some type of break in oil.
It comes with regular dyno oil, not break in oil.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have 2000 kms on my sahara...when should i change to Castrol syntec?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak

If you want to really know how long it takes to "break in" an new engine, most of it happens in the first 2 hours of engine operation.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

You can change to synthetic whenever you want. It won't hurt it any. Some cars come from the factory with synthetic oil.
You also don't need to change synthetic (or normal, for that matter) oil every 3K miles either, unless you live in a dust pit. Highway use can routinely get 7500 with no problems, and NYC taxi cab companies were able to get 10K per dino oil change without noticeable differences between engines when they tore them down at the end of their service lives (there was a study).
Still, it isn't expensive for the peace of mind I suppose.

Quick Reply: 500 miles -- change to synthetic oil?