Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

5 Speed Auto

Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 AM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hummin64

X2, I would try the throttle reset first since it's easy and free, but it never hurts to ask the dealer if somethings seems off.
Will do that today, will it be noticeable today?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
Will do that today, will it be noticeable today?
it's instant!!! so if you don't notice anything, try it again... first time i tried it, it worked, and lasted the whole day until i hit traffic later on. the next day I did it and I think I took too long, or maybe cuz I was on a hill, but I didn't feel anything. So I pulled into a parking lot, did it again real fast and it worked. I think i took about a 1000 miles off my rear tires though, chirping them at every red light... and not on purpose, which had me wearing a big grin
Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

it's instant!!! so if you don't notice anything, try it again... first time i tried it, it worked, and lasted the whole day until i hit traffic later on. the next day I did it and I think I took too long, or maybe cuz I was on a hill, but I didn't feel anything. So I pulled into a parking lot, did it again real fast and it worked. I think i took about a 1000 miles off my rear tires though, chirping them at every red light... and not on purpose, which had me wearing a big grin
I'll be pissed if I have to do this twice a week!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

Does this procedure apply to the 42RLE as well or no?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BRSJK
What's that?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkrubcon

What's that?
The 4 Speed Automatic for the 07-2011 JK's.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

the directions I followed claimed it would work on any chrysler... some reply's claimed it didn't work, I def noticed a difference.

these are the steps I followed, I had pasted them in an email to a buddy, but I can't remember where I found them:

"1. Find an unused section of road with a good spot to pull-off/turn-around.
2. Pull off of the road and shut your car off.
3. Turn your key to the "On" position (but don't start the car), and wait for the 'idiot' lights to go out.
4. Press down on the accelerator, and let it back up.
5. Turn your car off.
6. Re-start your car and cruise up and down the road testing your throttle responsiveness.
Depending on how fast/slow you do the 4th step, your throttle will either become more or less sensitive/responsive.
Repeat steps #1 through #5 as needed until you're satisfied that your throttle response is as good as it's going to get.

Remember these things 'learn' how you drive so if you drive like Grandma for a few days, it's adjusts accordingly."
Old 03-20-2012, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

the directions I followed claimed it would work on any chrysler... some reply's claimed it didn't work, I def noticed a difference.

these are the steps I followed, I had pasted them in an email to a buddy, but I can't remember where I found them:

"1. Find an unused section of road with a good spot to pull-off/turn-around.
2. Pull off of the road and shut your car off.
3. Turn your key to the "On" position (but don't start the car), and wait for the 'idiot' lights to go out.
4. Press down on the accelerator, and let it back up.
5. Turn your car off.
6. Re-start your car and cruise up and down the road testing your throttle responsiveness.
Depending on how fast/slow you do the 4th step, your throttle will either become more or less sensitive/responsive.
Repeat steps #1 through #5 as needed until you're satisfied that your throttle response is as good as it's going to get.

Remember these things 'learn' how you drive so if you drive like Grandma for a few days, it's adjusts accordingly."
Thanks. I do know it does learn how you drive. There is a slight incline on the 4 lane on my way home and some days with the cruise on 67mph (no a/c compressor running) I notice it downshifts somedays, and somedays it does not. I wish it would hold overdrive. I have no idea why it does sometimes and sometimes not. I suppose it has to do with it being more / less aggressive on the computer. I wonder if it is constantly adapting to your driving habits, or it resets every time you start your engine, or do you have to manually do the reset?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I do know it does learn how you drive. There is a slight incline on the 4 lane on my way home and some days with the cruise on 67mph (no a/c compressor running) I notice it downshifts somedays, and somedays it does not. I wish it would hold overdrive. I have no idea why it does sometimes and sometimes not. I suppose it has to do with it being more / less aggressive on the computer. I wonder if it is constantly adapting to your driving habits, or it resets every time you start your engine, or do you have to manually do the reset?
it doesn't override the "learning" so you have to manually reset it... not every time you start the engine, but sitting at idle, and around town driving will revert you back to miss Daisy mode quicker than if you drive it like you stole it all the time. ... too bad you can't program the remote start to do this everytime!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

I will try this after work for sure. Any responsive gain is huge on the 3.8L / 42RLE combination. Sorry to jump in to the 5-speed auto conversation.

Quick Reply: 5 Speed Auto