Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

4wd and TINK from front end

Old 01-05-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4wd and TINK from front end

We were on an up hill trail in 4wd and while going up we heard a loud TINK from the front end. We tried to go a little father and NO front wheels pulling at all. We got turned around and headed back down and got home ok with a very slight pull to the right and no really wierd noises. The front drive shaft turns but no power getting to the wheels just the rears spining on loose dirt trail/road.

Any ideas? I can not believe that i had busted the front ring and/or pinion on a dana 44 high pinion with lockers and 4.10 gears.

Its going to the jeep dealer on monday.

Kat
Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Junkie

Default update

We put Ruby on 4 jack stands and tested her. Heard some oh my god wierd noises from the front diff in 4wd. It soulded like the pinion gear was almost grinding on the ring gear instead of being meshed with it. It going to the dealer in the morning. We did not want to take the diff cover off so that nothing would come out that needed to stay in till they took it apart.
Hopefully we might get some pictures of what happened from the tech after i do some asking and maybe even a touch of begging.

Let you guys know after they let us know.

Kat
Old 01-06-2008, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkkat
We put Ruby on 4 jack stands and tested her. Heard some oh my god wierd noises from the front diff in 4wd. It soulded like the pinion gear was almost grinding on the ring gear instead of being meshed with it.

Kat
Kat, if it's making bad noises in the diff, driving it in 2wd to the dealer will do further damage since the JK front drivetrain all the way from the axle shafts to the transfer case chain are spinning while you are driving. You might consider getting it towed in.

Let us know what happened ....

Last edited by RMEF_lifer; 01-06-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Kat
That's not a good start at all. Hope the Jeep chaps can fix it. Let us know.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I had a tink in the rear end at camp Jeep. Sure enough the locker was bad, and then it was replaced under warranty. Something about a magnet being cracked or broken. They swear it was installed from the factory that way, and not something I did, so I shouldn't worry about repeating it. I still would like new lockers oneday. maybe some Ox lockers. Perhaps ARB. One day.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

Hey Phish did they get you fixed at camp jeep or did you have to flatbed to a dealer?
Old 01-07-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Junkie

Default Bye Bye Ruby

The picture says it all, She is getting loocked at tomorrow and i did ask the service guy to see if the tech could take pictures of what went wrong after they find out.

Kat
Old 01-07-2008, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

damn.... that's a sad picture hope it gets fixed well...
Old 01-08-2008, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

No way man! That does not look good, your new JK on a flatbed.
I feel for you my friend.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Junkie

Default Update

Hi Guys and Girls,

Well, I got a call from the group leader and took a quick ride down there and spent 30 mins talking to the tech and apperantly what happened was one of the cap for the right side U joint and the stub shaft both broke, snapped, and just killed them selves. It WILL be covered by warranty.

Guess that will teach me to try and pull a tree with it in 4lo and locked front and rear on rocks. Might get better axles next year.

Kat

Quick Reply: 4wd and TINK from front end