Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

4lo Transmission Shifting Issue?

Old 08-18-2020, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4lo Transmission Shifting Issue?

Hi everyone,
I just traded my 07 rubi for a 2016, 2dr, 6 speed, rubi with only 15k on the odometer this past Saturday! My brother in law and I have been night wheeling the past few days and I noticed, while in 4lo, if I shift the tranny into gear from a standstill, most of the time it jumps forward (or backward when shifting into reverse) ever so slightly. I also grind every now and then going into reverse. No problems in 2hi or 4hi, only 4lo and shifting is smooth through every gear. My 07 started doing this in 2hi when my clutch master cyl started failing, but a lot of times I had shifting issues (wouldn't go into gear, notchiness, etc). I don't remember this happening during the test drive, but I didn't spend a ton of time in 4lo. If anyone has any suggestions or experiences I'd love to hear your feedback!
Old 08-21-2020, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

When my 08 Rubi was a manual in Low range it crunched gears as well when shifting up gears not down. I believe it is a component of the mass in the transfer case L ratio spinning the output shaft of the gearbox 4 times faster than the DS when clutch is pressed and gears are going through the neutral gate. You have no control on that portion of the gearbox. My sons 2016 Ruby 6spd is somewhat the same. Now I am Chev 8spd auto (wonderful in L range now) and the problem has shifted to the TC to get from L-N-4H. Have to turn engine off to do that or be moving very slow. For your issue I found shifting slow in forward gears and stop completely for reverse, even though it has a synchro ring, the problem may go away. I don't believe it is your clutch as that would show up somewhat even in 2H.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 08-21-2020 at 07:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Greyson (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, just feels better to get confirmation. We went back out there 2 days ago and it seemed a little better, specifically no grinding into reverse when pausing about half a second longer after disengaging the clutch before shifting. Thanks for the feedback, I'll start shifting slower to see if that helps.

Quick Reply: 4lo Transmission Shifting Issue?