Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

40K mile service

Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40K mile service

Have you all had your jeep in for its 40,000 mile service? If you have, what maintenance was done and what were you charged?
Thanks guys.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually the talk is about 30k service... Searching that may be more informative.

Other than the routine oil/filter changes and tire rotations that most posters seem to do around 3-6k miles (depending on personal preference) there isn't much that really needs to be done.

The manual says to replace your air filter at 30k. Lots of posters have changed their diff fluid by 30k, some have changed their transfer case oil and (maybe) tranny oil, too, depending on how hard they wheel or tow. Otherwise the manual just says "inspect."

If you haven't yet, you should probably take a good look at your brake pads, especially the rear.

Generally, posters are shocked at what stealerships want for some of the services (e.g. $200 for a diff oil change). Prices vary by geography.

Most of the items I mention are super easy to do and can be done even by a novice. (no offense intended if you're experienced or don't want to or can't do the work yourself) There are good write ups posted on the forum and you do not really need an extensive tool kit, either. (But get good jack stands and use them if you start crawling around under a jacked-up vehicle.)

No problem if you want to have a pro do the work, but I think the money is better spent on more mods!!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help, i've already done this stuff, so i guess im set.

Quick Reply: 40K mile service