Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

40k mi and my fuel pump and tank are shot

Old 06-12-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40k mi and my fuel pump and tank are shot

Searched around and couldn't find any threads about this issue, wanted to hear from some others.

Here is my saga, so 2 weeks ago I get the "gascap" warning light, I check the cap and its on tight. I figure the cap is going bad, I will order a locking one on payday. 2 days go by and I start smelling a trace of fuel, think ok maybe the cap is loose and fumes are getting out. The morning of the 3rd day, load up the wife and kids and head out to run errands, stop at the end of the driveway to dump some trash, notice that there is fuel pouring out from the rear side of the Jeep. Shut it down, call a tow truck. I call the local stealership, tell them whats up, they say sorry youre at 40k mi, no warranty. I head for my local guy, hear back my fuel pump is shot, they replace it and comment on how its odd for a 2.5 year old vehicle to need a fuel pump. 3 days later, check engine light and gascap warning, take it back they find 2 holes in my gas tank. Try to epoxy them, thats a no go, they are replacing the tank today.

So now after my boohoo story, anyone else experience or hear of anything similar?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People here have been steeling gas from pickups by popping holes in the tanks. I wonder if someone might have tried it with your Jeep.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
People here have been stealing gas from pickups by popping holes in the tanks. I wonder if someone might have tried it with your Jeep.
That could be a possibility, would hope that my German Shepherd would have alerted when they came in the yard. Either way good excuse to buy the camera system I've been looking at.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have pictures of the holes?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
Do you have pictures of the holes?
I don't. Been working more than 60 hours a week lately so I'm having a shop do the work. Will ask them to send me pics.

Quick Reply: 40k mi and my fuel pump and tank are shot