Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

32's to 33's ??

Old 01-03-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
If you have an automatic you may not realize it, but you will be happier if you get a procal. It may be a subtle difference but it is there. The shift points are based on a variety of things and speedometer accuracy plays a roll. When you get your speedo accurate your vehicles computer programs your shift points. I think with 3.21's it is super important as the automatic has to hunt for proper gear anyway.
My speedo is within 1-2 mph of my GPS at 70mph. I run the interstate pretty regularly and the only time I notice the transmission hunting is when I'm towing my small trailer and driving over overpasses at highway speeds. I'm sure the procal would probably make *some* difference, but if I'm not realizing any performance degradation now, why mess with it? The last thing I am interested in doing is bricking the PCM on my 2014 because the tuner had a problem.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice everyone! Is everybody satisfied with the upgrade?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 7kings
My speedo is within 1-2 mph of my GPS at 70mph. I run the interstate pretty regularly and the only time I notice the transmission hunting is when I'm towing my small trailer and driving over overpasses at highway speeds. I'm sure the procal would probably make *some* difference, but if I'm not realizing any performance degradation now, why mess with it? The last thing I am interested in doing is bricking the PCM on my 2014 because the tuner had a problem.

the procal is not a tuner and won't brick you ecm as it does not go that far into it like a superchips etc. If you are within 1-2 off you would fine. Terrain has a lot to do with it as in Montana we are either going up or going down and even stiff head winds would cause the tranny to be hunting at highway speeds.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjtvegas
Have 255/75/17 and would like to go to a aftermarket rim 17x8.5 with 285/70/17.
I would also like a smooth ride so considering duratracs or bfg AT KO. Did anybody regret going bigger?
I have a 2 door with pentastar. Will it feel dogish with 3.21?
If it's reprogrammed will I have to worry about shift points on the highway?
The (calculated, not the exact actual) difference between the 2 tires is just 0.65".
That's too little to necessitate reprogramming, or to have any significant difference in feel.
Tire pressure would have a much bigger effect on ride softness.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i went 33 s with nitto trail grapplers

I got mb 72 wheels the tires are actually 32 inches in height so no procal was needed at all I swap back and forth from my stock wheels to my nitto and no need to program anything the nitto trail grapplers are super smooth and heavy side walls like armor more aggressive than duratracs too and they superceed in rain snow and mud also ive heard duratrac can be spongy in corners that's all I needed to hear to make the choice ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7528.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	520940Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0097 (2).jpg
Views:	370
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	520942

I like being able to swap back and forth too cuz the stock ones are better on gas and winter time stock wheels cut through the snow best to be honest Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331 (2).jpg
Views:	360
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	520948 285/70/16 no lift and not needed its all preference and I never had duratracs so I honestly cant say but I read reviews on them
oh btw had them on my 2011 sport also here with the 3,21 gearing and worked fine too , but the 2012 rubicon pulls them a bit easyer due to 4.10sClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6322.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	520978

Last edited by jeepmojo; 01-03-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Ok good. Is anybody running the bfg AT KO 285/70/17?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

When my stock 32" BFG Mud Terrains (255/75R-17) wore out I found a great deal online for 5 GoodYear Duratrac 33"'s (285/70R 17).

So to put that into Imperial numbers, I basically went from about a 32.0"x 10" to a 33.0"x 11.5"
Best choice I ever made.

Ok, I'm going to ignore any of the opportunities for the age old response, "that's what she said" I will create in the next part.
Did the size make a difference?
Well I know it was only a 1" increase in height but I had to slightly alter how high I was instinctively jumping into my Jeep. The first week with the new tires I was finding myself not quite making it over the seat when I hop in. This is not a big deal of course, but I just wanted to illustrate that while small, the height increase was noticeable.

Width wise, going from appox. 10" to 11.5" was pretty noticeable on the beach. While it is always a good idea to air down on loose sand, I compared aired up traction on the sand with new and old tires and the increase to 11.5" performed much better.

Note:
While I did not need to modify the suspension of my 08' Unlimited Rubicon in any to accomadate the bigger tires, I did have to add a set of 1.5" wheel spacers to keep them from rubbing the front sway bar.

All dimensions aside, and now comparing the brand of tires, I am MUCH happier with the GoodYear DuraTracs. They are so much quieter than the BF Goodrich's (so far), they handle the rain somewhat better, they give a more comfortable ride. But the biggest difference is in the snow. I always thought the traction in the snow with the stock BFG's was great.... Until I drove with the DuraTrac's. Holy crap they are so much better. Inside the treads they have what look like fish scales (best way to describe them) going in either direction to assist with grip in deep snow. Also they are pinned for #16 metal studs if someone wants to use them. Personally I doubt I will ever put studs on them.
Now the ones I have are a few years old by now and they have the "Winter" rated snowflake embossed on the tire. Looking at the most recent DuraTracs on the Goodyear website, they are now "Tll-Terrain" and "All Season" rated, so not sure what difference that makes.
The only down side I can think of is that now the tires stick out just slightly outside of the fender flares, I get a huge amount of road spray up the side of my Jeep. With all the road treatment put down for the snow, my Jeep is covered in salt spray.
I bought these tires used with less than 3k miles on them (according to the seller). I took them to a tire store to have them mounted and the tech doubted they had even half that many miles on them (at least that's how they looked). I got all 5 for $500 which was a GREAT deal, but I like these tires so much that when they eventually wear out I plan to dish out the cash and buy a brand new set of them.

Here's a link to related photos.

Joker92's Album: GoodYear Duratrac 33"'s (285/70R 17)
Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Yes nothing but positive feed back on the duratracs! Are they much noisier on highway compared to stock or small difference ? Thanks for photos. Looks good.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jjtvegas
Yes nothing but positive feed back on the duratracs! Are they much noisier on highway compared to stock or small difference ? Thanks for photos. Looks good.
No they are not much noisier. They are a great AT tire. Unless you really need MTs, and you can live with MT shortfalls, the Duratracs are an excellent choice for a Jeep. If Jeep were smart, they'd can the SRAs and offer Duratracs OEM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah Gona lean toward duratrac plus in Vegas no mud here.