Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

30k service

Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously $1200 is a crazy number, given that all they are likely going to do is change the oil. Look over the jeep (brakes, tires, belts etc) they will change the front and rear diff fluid, rotate the tires, and the biggest money maker Clean your fuel system, and throttle body (biggest dealer gimmick going).

My wifes first Jeep was a 2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo Loaded, I remember when it had 17k on it I brought it in for an oil change and inspection. The guy kept pushing that I was overdue to have my fuel system and t-body cleaned. He recommended that it be done immediately. Here's the outrageous service prices that they tried to shake me down for at East Hills Jeep on Northern Blvd. in Roslyn NY

Throttle Body Cleaning (reco every 10-15k) $125
Summary of Service Involved: Remove air inlet tube from throttle body (loosen one screw on one clamp) spray throttle body/carborator cleaner in the throttle body, wipe with a rag to remove excess carbon buildup. Spray throttle linkage to remove grease and grime. Add new clean grease.
Parts: 1/8th of a can of throttle body cleaner (whole can cost $1.25 wholesale)

Fuel System Cleaning (reco do this service with t-body cleaning) $225
Summary of Service Involved: Pour one bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel Injection Cleaner into the gas tank. Use customers car as dealer shuttle vehicle, errand car, lunch picker-upper. Return to customer with less than 1/8th of a tank of gas making sure the low fuel light is on. If customer asks where all there gas went, tell them it is a very labor intensive service we had to blow all the fuel from the lines, drop the tank and clean the fuel pump and sterilize each fuel injector.

Differential Service $295 PER AXLE
While this is a legitimate service the dealer was just way outa line with the pricing. Also the dealer was insistant that the service be done every 15k (owners manual clearly reads 30-40K (in my wifes GC) My dealer was trying to strong arm me into doing it at 17k telling me that if something happens they won't cover me if I fail to maintain the vehicle. I told him to f-off and when I came to pick it up from the oil change showed him the owners manual with reco service. He just brushed it off stating well I dunno thats what it says you need in the computer. When I asked him to show me his computer was conveniently down for system updates (it's always down when I call them out).

The real deal is that the Service Advisors get paid a small salary and they rely on commissions from the overpriced unnecessary service orders that they write. Therefore they are always looking to run a scam. The sad thing is that most people actually fall for it. If you think about it of all the cars on the road what percentage of drivers are mechanically inclined, has automotive knowledge or uses a forum like this as a resource? I'd guesstimate 15% is an overly generous number. So that leaves 85% of the people a target.

unfortunatly it is practices like these that have contributed to the failure of the american autmotive industry. The japs and germans dont pull this crap. Ive had plenty of new cars until 07 none of which were american. It wasn't till 07 that I started to deal with shady service advisors.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will save over $1000 if you do it yourself.

Oil Change $30
Diff fluid $30
Air Filter $20

Total $80 (or so)

I change my oil every 3k or so, change the diff fluid every now and again and replace the air filter when it gets dirty. I don't care what anyone says. That's all you have to do. Everyone spends all this money on expensive lube this and that or changing the tranny fluid every other full moon. All BS. Just do the simple shit and you will be fine.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they wanted 500 just to do my diffs i went to local 4 wheel parts store and they changed it and i had new diff covers put on four 180.88
Old 03-13-2010, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chainsawjames
You will save over $1000 if you do it yourself.

Oil Change $30
Diff fluid $30
Air Filter $20

Total $80 (or so)

I change my oil every 3k or so, change the diff fluid every now and again and replace the air filter when it gets dirty. I don't care what anyone says. That's all you have to do. Everyone spends all this money on expensive lube this and that or changing the tranny fluid every other full moon. All BS. Just do the simple shit and you will be fine.
X2 that!

Quick Reply: 30k service