Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

30k service

Old 06-10-2009, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where would be a good place to go to get the minimum 30K service done (Goodyear, Meineke, Valvoine)?

I don't have the time or equipment to do it myself.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by artieandgumbo
Where would be a good place to go to get the minimum 30K service done (Goodyear, Meineke, Valvoine)?

I don't have the time or equipment to do it myself.

Gezzzzzz. After reading this thread, to me it seems that the best 30 service is to go down to the local bar and have a cold one. Then if you feel compelled to treat your jeep to some service, go bring it to a car wash and for less than 20 bucks you can get her cleaned up and ready to dance. I put 200K miles on my SR54x4 and I think I changed the diff oils once or twice and the tranny/tf case once. Never had a problem. I've never had to relpace a rear end in any car/truck ever....and that is over 30 years of driving. This service stuff (30k,60k) is just a money maker for the dealers. And believe me, the dealers need the money to stay in business. I get emails all the time from them trying to get me to come in for everything and anything. I get in my jeep...go down to the dealership (rancho) and drive by while glancing at the new jeeps and head to O'Briens for a cold one. Did the dealer give me a killer deal on the jeep? No. Did he give me a decent deal on a jeep......welll.....not really. did he try to rip me off. Errr....welll. ...yes. Screw me once shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me.:ro tflmao2:

I've never had luck with preventitive maintenence either, it seems to wake up gremlins. I drive till something f87ks up. I believe in good/great rubber, oil changes everk 5k, and gasoline.

Dealer visits= warantee issues. No warantee = drive by dealer indefinately, except for the parts dept.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smelt_1

I've never had luck with preventitive maintenence either, it seems to wake up gremlins. I drive till something f87ks up. I believe in good/great rubber, oil changes everk 5k, and gasoline.
I'm a believer of this too. Keep gas and oil in it and tires on it and they'll run for a good long time.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

By going to a non jeep mechanic on the scheduled intervals, will that void the lifetime powertrain warranty? Last thing I want to do is ruin the best and shortest incentive jeep ever offered. I believe they are now limiting it to 5 years – just shows how proud they are with their engineering.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just had mine done as well but only cost around $300. They changed the filter, pc valve, diff flush, tranny and transfer case flush. I was told that it would void my waranty if I did not have the service performed. Probably BS. The dealerships are not selling cars so they have to screw you in repairs.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:18 AM
kik
JK Freak

It doesn't void your warranty. All you have to do is prove, by receipts, the service was done at the normal use time, not the severe duty time. Had my previous 06 30,000 mile service done at a local shop; oil, filter, air filter, plugs, rotated tires. That's it. My 10 Rubi will get the same. I might add a dif. fluid change. All of the dealer "flush" maintenance on the severe duty schedule is a money maker for them.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dmerk524
I brought my jeep in for the 30,000 mile servicing and they told me that it would be 1,200 + tax.
Wow... that's almost the same price I was quoted for the 60,000 mile service on my BMW, which includes replacing shims to adjust the solid lifters on the engine. I expect that kind of highway robbery from them, but not for a Jeep!

This is why I end up doing everything I can myself...
Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

This is one of the many reasons that I hate stealerships. That price is rediculous.

Its really not difficult to change fluids on the JK, especially with the drain plugs on the diffs.

Change everything yourself, save yourself some money and run quality fluids like AMSOIL
Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone really want Chrysler employees touching your vehicles? If I didn't have a warranty I wouldn't step foot near a Chrysler shop no freakin' way!!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

I took mine in for an oil change (first one since I owned the Jeep) because they had a special for $24.95 (with a 23 point inspection and fluid top off) Ya right!
I asked about the 30k service because mine is at 29k now.

He gave me the pamphlet and wrote the price down ($675) for the following:
Oil and filter (25 bucks)
Install "BG" premium engine protection (whatever this is? )
inspect all fluid levels (ya right)
inspect brake pads & discs (ya right)
clean and adjust brakes (huh? no adj. on disc brakes I guess they would spray them?) (less than one dollar)
inspect ball joints and dust covers (ya right)
inspect driveshaft boots (ditto)
inspect exhaust pipes and mountings (ditto)
inspect chassis nuts and bolts
drain and refill transfer case ($20 maybe?)
inspect cooling system (ya right)
perform auto transmission flush ($75-$100 maybe?)
replace air filter ($10)
install fuel system cleaner ($3-$4)
replace spark plugs (I thought they lasted 100k miles nowadays?)($40 w/labor)
replace pcv valve ($5)
inspect belts and hoses (ya right)
inspect tires, brake hoses, linings and drums (Disc brakes dummy!)
adjust tire pressure ($2)
computer speed balance and rotate tires ($30 tops)
check all lights for operation (ya right)
check for open recalls (duh!)
23 point inspection (huh? isn't this what you're doing anyway dumb ass?)
install anti corrosive battery pads ($5 maybe?)

Let's add this up: $231 for approximate parts and labor for the above (in my opinion of what it should cost )
They want $675...hmmmm

AND now for the kicker...he said "it is recommended" (but he didn't say by whom, it is recommended...probably the owner of the dealership )

Front and rear differential service for an additional $220!! (haven't they already serviced the transfer case "drain and re-fill transfer case" above?)
What type of "service" is required to the differentials besides fluids???

I'll be shopping this out elsewhere...

Quick Reply: 30k service