Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

30k service

Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply

I agree, the dealer just wants your money. I would just check a few things like
air filter, CV joints etc. and maybe change the transmission fluid. Do what the owners manuel says.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmerk524
... I ask them whether the information I was given from the first dealer (regarding the fact I needed all of this maintenance for the well being of the vehicle) is true and they informed me that they do not know what is necessary and if I was worried about the warranty I can speak to the warranty department. ...
Here's what is necessary (whether you're on schedule A or B, both are identical at 30K miles):

Change the engine oil and engine oil filter.

Rotate the tires.

Inspect the engine air filter element, replace if necessary.

Inspect the PCV Valve, and replace if necessary.

Drain and refill the front and rear axle fluid.

Inspect the manual transmission fluid, add as necessary.

Inspect the transfer case fluid, add if necessary.

Clean and lubricate soft top zippers (if equipped)

That's from the owner's manual. Dealers are allowed to add their own maintenance requirements to reflect local conditions (say, living in the desert)--but they cannot change the terms of the warranty. So, even if you ignore their additional maintenance suggestions, it will not impact the warranty. This, of course, is in regards to U.S. vehicles, where the warranty is protected by U.S. law. So, if you want to know how much it will cost to perform the 30K maintenance requirements, print out the above list, take it to your dealer, and tell them you want a quote to have that, and only that, work done. Or, better yet, figure out what you can do yourself, drop it off the list, and go to a local mechanic (or even many oil change places) and get a quote for the rest.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NYRacBaller
For what it is worth- My dealer quoted me $795 + tax. I told him I would think about it! I am glad you asked the question as I am interested in others' thoughts as well.
Ok Ok I'll do it for $695.00 but that's my final price and you have to buy me beer and lunch.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
When talking to anyone at the dealership it's very easy to immediately recognize if they're feeding you a line of BS or not: Look carefully and see if their lips are moving.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmerk524
I have searched and found other posts discussing this question but I really need an answer to this situation. I brought my jeep in for the 30,000 mile servicing and they told me that it would be 1,200 + tax. I was taken back and asked what that included. I was informed that it was complete engine to transmission servicing. This included clearning and reasembling and programing. The guy went the whole 9 yards with the description. Is this just a BS sales pitch? Do I need this? More importantly will they just do an oil change and slap on the record that they completed the servicing?

I know many will say do it yourself etc. I am not someone who has the knowledge of experience to complete the servicing. Does anyone have any other advice? Should I try another dealer (not easy)? Have a non jeep mechanic complete the work? Tell them I only want certain things done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
:r otflmao2:so many different emotions with this post
Old 03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Drain and refill the front and rear axle fluid.
They told me that a drain and fill was not enough for both axles. They said they had to take off the diff covers and inspect for "abnormal wear". They quoted me $900 bucks. If I chose not to do it they would void my entire warranty on the car. I laughed and made my bit about them circling the toilet.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

My dealer started the BS (White Plains, NY >> also a bunch of sales guys) and I went to Meineke. I don't have the knowledge or space to do it myself, so I bought my own fluids and filter, and just use their labor. It has been the cheapest way, $90 /hr, and it took them 1.5 hours to do both axles and an oil change. Did this all at 12K because the dealer told me this was crucial. I think I did my transmission around the 20 mark. So I have a good ways to go then I suppose , before I need to do this again. I don't have any of those hard usage conditions mentioned before, and dont get to wheel that much.

There is a cautionary side to this though. Ever since my last service I have a vibration in my front left tire. I saw the mechanic struggle with the impact wrench . And it has been in and out ever since....

I am learning as I go along. No way is perfect. Sometimes there is comfort in knowing they know the product, but only at a good price when there is no alternative.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BotsJeep
..........I am learning as I go along. No way is perfect. Sometimes there is comfort in knowing they know the product, but only at a good price when there is no alternative.
Don't be too sure that they know the product. You check around this forum and you'll see examples of dealership service people that don't know s..t about Jeeps.

I only will bring my Jeep to a dealer for a warranty repair. Never maintance.

Keep learning for yourself. If you are going to try some do it yourself maintance and your not sure. Get on this forum and ask before your start. There is always somebody that has done it before. And we are all willing to help.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Is this one of those things that if you don't have the dealership do the maintenance, you will void the lifetime warranty? If so, they have us by the balls.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JUSTIN01
They told me that a drain and fill was not enough for both axles. They said they had to take off the diff covers and inspect for "abnormal wear". They quoted me $900 bucks. If I chose not to do it they would void my entire warranty on the "car". I laughed and made my bit about them circling the toilet.
And another cute little kitten is off to heaven.

Attachment 20489

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-24-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 30k service