Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

30k service

Old 03-05-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asuperhero
im about to roll up to my 30k service too...you suggest a differential service, and what else major? one of them told me last time that i'd have to get my gears checked or something like that? i thot it was just some bs sales pitch to get me to spend more money. guess i'll have to use my tax rebate for my service :(

Are you serious? Look at the list of the 30k service. There is nothing to it! Dealerships are STEALERships! It's a JEEP! Working on it (maintance/mods)is part of the joy of owning it! Don't give you money away!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmerk524
... The guy went the whole 9 yards with the description. Is this just a BS sales pitch? ...
When talking to anyone at the dealership it's very easy to immediately recognize if they're feeding you a line of BS or not: Look carefully and see if their lips are moving.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

So you want the highlights of this story... I call another dealership not 20 minutes away and they quote me 575. I explain to them my prior experience and they tell me it makes sense that so many bayside customers are coming their way.

Well i get realy annoyed so I call chrylser to file a complaint. Chrysler responds saying "prices are set by individual dealerships depending on how much they charge for labor." I explaint that the dealerships are both in the NY metropolitan area and prices do not vary that much. They tell me that there is nothing that can be done. I ask them whether the information I was given from the first dealer (regarding the fact I needed all of this maintenance for the well being of the vehicle) is true and they informed me that they do not know what is necessary and if I was worried about the warranty I can speak to the warranty department.

Well I am glad to see that customer service is dead. There are few places left that actually care about the customer. I am willing to spend more if I know I am not dealing with a moron who is obnoxious etc... this was just a terrible experience
Old 03-08-2009, 12:36 PM
aas
JK Enthusiast

Well I am glad to see that customer service is dead. There are few places left that actually care about the customer. I am willing to spend more if I know I am not dealing with a moron who is obnoxious etc... this was just a terrible experience
Did you talk to some dudes in India? I used to speak with friendly southerners in Tennessee when I called support; now it's a bunch of Indian assholes that are trained to tell you to get f*cked.

I'm due for my 60,000 now and am wondering what to have done. I had both front axles just replaced. I assume that involved replacing the differential fluid as part of the job. So, I guess I'll need to have the rear diff, transfer case and MT fluid changed. The dealership is trying to sell me some type of "tune-up" service where they disassemble the fuel rail and clean it all out, but that sounds to me like something that could cause more problems from disassembly than it's worth.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Customer service was definitly outsourced. I started with someone with an indian accent and when I asked for a manager I misteriously heard the dial tone. I guess the manager only knows how to hang up phones. Good luck with the 60,000 as far as cost to own is concerned it is making my corvette look like a cheap car.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

I have searched and found other posts discussing this question but I really need an answer to this situation. I brought my jeep in for the 30,000 mile servicing and they told me that it would be 1,200 + tax. I was taken back and asked what that included. I was informed that it was complete engine to transmission servicing. This included clearning and reasembling and programing. The guy went the whole 9 yards with the description. Is this just a BS sales pitch? Do I need this? More importantly will they just do an oil change and slap on the record that they completed the servicing?

I know many will say do it yourself etc. I am not someone who has the knowledge of experience to complete the servicing. Does anyone have any other advice? Should I try another dealer (not easy)? Have a non jeep mechanic complete the work? Tell them I only want certain things done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
I'll drive up to your place and do the servce for you at your house for only $1100.00 and no tax.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
aas
JK Enthusiast

Customer service was definitly outsourced. I started with someone with an indian accent and when I asked for a manager I misteriously heard the dial tone. I guess the manager only knows how to hang up phones. Good luck with the 60,000 as far as cost to own is concerned it is making my corvette look like a cheap car.
The dial-tone thing is exactly what i dealt with back in December, multiple times (as in at least four times -- I spent many hours on hold also).
Old 03-08-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great thread!

Red
Old 03-08-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yendor65
I have been doing my 30k myself..change both diffs. Fluid...way easy did the manuel tranny fluid..easy once you have the tool ( i have an extra one..and i live on LI ) next is transfer case and pvc ..maybe a new set of plugs..just because...no way a grand...
what kind of tool is needed to just change manual trans oil?
arn't there just a fill and drain bolt?
if some special tool, where do I buy one?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4x4law
what kind of tool is needed to just change manual trans oil?
arn't there just a fill and drain bolt?
if some special tool, where do I buy one?
not really a special tool but it's just a tough spot to get anything into.What i did was took a nut that fit in the drain plug( i want to say 17mm but cant remember) taped it into a wrench whit enough of the nut sticking out to grab.there's a thread or 2 on this and i think a write up by WOL . I'll see if i can find them.

Edit--Its a nut that a 17 MM wrench will fit on and here is a link to WOL's write up http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ission-service

Last edited by odin725; 03-08-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 30k service