Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

3 Piece Top Leakage

Old 10-11-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 3 Piece Top Leakage

I have not gone through all the postings, but I am interested to see if Jeep has corrected the 3-piece top leakage problem they experienced in the beginning. I am considering buying a 4-door with the hard top, but will go to the convertible top only if the problem still exists. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the most part the problem is fixed, there have been a couple of people that have gotten a bad seal recently but I think that is more a normal quality control issue than a wide spread problem. I got mine in July and the only time mine has leaked was due to user error, I folded over the front seal when I was rushing to get it on during a rain shower and I got a few dropsup front where the two panels come together.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree. The leak problem is exactly the same as it has ever been. Mine from July leaks and my friends from Sept. leaks.

It's not a major leak. but it leaks. I am of the opinion that the benefits/coolness far out weigh the fact that it leaks and wouldn't think twice about buying one with a hardtop.

I get a few drops on the dash during decent rain. Some water in the floor board during a huge rain.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thought I chime in. Mine also leaks, just got my JK last month 08 Sahara. Mine is also coming in from front middle on the dash and shifters. Dont seem like a big deal a small amount water after a heavy rain, will see if it gets worse.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Dirty seals will leak. Here's my solution:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/my-trick-no-hard-top-leaks-17630/

js.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine leaks. 08 sahara unlimited i have 250 miles on it.. it leaks on the dash above the radio when i brake in the rain. I can hose it down for an hour straight and not a drop.. but when I hit the brakes, different story..

kinda frustrating.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default NEVER had a leak!

I've had mine since the end of June, and never a leak. Car washes don't even effect it. (we're in a drought, so not allowed to use water at the house.)

When test driving JK's, I had a sales guy at a car lot, "show" me how the top worked. He took the passenger side out, said a few words, then jammed it back under the drivers side. I went ahead and drove it with the wind pooring through the damaged seal (right above the radio)...
Obviously I bought at a different dealership, but I learned that those guys don't know and don't care!

Check the rubber and get the dearler to replace if it's damaged!

I love my Freedom Top!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by osros
Thought I chime in. Mine also leaks, just got my JK last month 08 Sahara. Mine is also coming in from front middle on the dash and shifters. Dont seem like a big deal a small amount water after a heavy rain, will see if it gets worse.
I have a right hand drive and the top leaks the same. The carpet was damp on the left passengers side
Old 10-12-2007, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

It seems to still be a problem both soft and hard top. And Jeep doesn't seem to have the brains, engineering or the will to fix it right.

As a 1st time jeep owner that was my beef from day 2 of owning my new JK. Mine had had the tsb done from the factory and I also had the Header seal replaced after 2 attempts. I have washed my jeep once since the repair and no leak. I'm crossing my fingers for the next wash or rain.

For everyone here with a hardtop, can someone who has REMOVED their hardtop panels many times and reinstalled them with NO leak problems give us instructions on how YOU are reinstalling your 2 panels?

There seems to be conflicting opinions about re-installation of the 2 front panels to obtain a leak free seal.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

Default Hope this helps ...Nothing special!

Obviously: unclasp it remove driver side first then passenger install in reverse....

Taken them off hundreds of times; some times only the drivers side.....Never had a leak.... and I don't even have the twist screws over the shoulders in it....

I even when through a tropical storm like this........and yes I use a drive thru car wash.!!!

It must just me my luck...........sorry you are having trouble with yours!

Quick Reply: 3 Piece Top Leakage