Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

3 cylinder coil pack

Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 cylinder coil pack

Hey everyone

so i bring my Jeep in for a trans problem which was covered under warrinty. They have had it for 5 days and cuz they sent it to Mr. Transmition. anyways they said they would only have it for 2 days and now on the 5 day they call me saying

Dealership: "were you having a problem with miss firing"

Me: No

Dealership: "Well was your check engine light on when you brought it in?"

Me: No

Dealership: "Well your check engine light is on and there is there is an Aftermarket coil pack
on your third cylinder that has to be replaced"

Me: "well the check engine light wasnt on before i brought it in and it was driving fine. is there going to be a charge to replacing thing?"

Dealership: "Yes"

Me: "Well i'm not paying for it cuz my Jeep was fine before it when it there and i didnt replace anything"

Dealership: Well out service manager isnt in tonight he will be tomorrow so i'll have to do that"

Me: Ok well get him to call me back!"

So what I'm trying to get it at is there any way i can prove that before i took it in the engine light wasn't on?
because i feel like i'm gonna get screwed anyways on this! and i think it was Mr. TRanmition that did it! I'm pisssssseddd!!!

any help would be great
thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 04:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

If I understand you correctly, they are saying your #3 cylinder is misfiring, and it's caused by your aftermarket coil. The coil is not the original coil? What brand is it?

If your coil is anything like the original coil, and it's causing #3 to misfire, it seems like #6 would be misfiring, too.
#3 and #6 share the same coil in the pack, and always fire at the same time. (As do 2 & 5, and 1 & 4)

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-18-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If I understand you correctly, they are saying your #3 cylinder is misfiring, and it's caused by your aftermarket coil. The coil is not the original coil? What brand is it?

If your coil is anything like the original coil, and it's causing #3 to misfire, it seems like #6 would be misfiring, too.
#3 and #6 share the same coil in the pack, and always fire at the same time. (As do 2 & 5, and 1 & 4)
thanks for the reply and i haven't changed anything. they said that only #3 is misfiring so does that mean they r lying?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Sinkic
thanks for the reply and i haven't changed anything. they said that only #3 is misfiring so does that mean they r lying?
I can't say they are lying. They may be blaming the coil without proper troubleshooting. There are all sorts of things that can cause a misfire.

Did you purchase the Jeep used?
They say it has an aftermarket coil pack, and you say you haven't changed anything. Both can be true if you got it used, and the previous owner replaced the coil pack.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-18-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-18-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

I can't say they are lying. They may be blaming the coil without proper troubleshooting. There are all sorts of things that can cause a misfire.

Did you purchase the Jeep used?
They say it has an aftermarket coil pack, and you say you haven't changed anything. Both can be true if you got it used, and the previous owner replaced the cloi pack.
i bought it brand new only thing i have changed is the air filter. it was left at mr.transmition since friday so i'll thinking it could have been switched while there because i don't have a hood lock. but do the not fill out a sheet before they take the jeep saying this is whats wrong with it?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

i bought it brand new only thing i have changed is the air filter. it was left at mr.transmition since friday so i'll thinking it could have been switched while there because i don't have a hood lock. but do the not fill out a sheet before they take the jeep saying this is whats wrong with it?
My advice is to talk to the dealer, and ask them what they mean by "aftermarket" coil.
Also ask them why they think the coil is causing the misfire.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

My advice is to talk to the dealer, and ask them what they mean by "aftermarket" coil.
Also ask them why they think the coil is causing the misfire.
thanks a lot for the help
Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

thanks a lot for the help
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-18-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Default 3rd cylinder miss firing on my JK also

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
I had a after market coil and wire changed 30,000 miles ago and now getting the miss fire. I had Screamin Demon Coil pack and Live wire. Was thinking to change the plugs first and then checking the wires but they should be good as well as the coil pack being so new. I have 206K miles on my JK. Any suggestions?
Old 07-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I just had the same code. I pulled #3 spark plug and there was a slight crack in it. Im not a mechanical person really. You can easily do this yourself. Tell them to forget about it and get your jeep back. Go to your local parts house and get a new plug (Champion double platinum is the standard OEM) pull the number 3 out and replace the plug. If it isn't the plug then its either the wire or the coil. I started with the wires first just because I was at 90k and I did plugs at 55k but never wires. Figured it had to be them. Nope. Cracked plug. Pull the plug, then try a different wire if you have an extra from the old set, then replace coil pack.

If its not one of these then post back and someone with better mechanical advice can help you hopefully.

Quick Reply: 3 cylinder coil pack