Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

3.8 v6

Old 05-08-2016, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8 v6

OK I'm new to the JK jeep and I have a 2011 but whats with this anemic 3.8 V6? I can't even go up a small hill , thats all we have here in Kansas, without downshifting 2 gears (automatic). When I pull my small expedition style teardrop trailer I don't even get to top gear and the mileage goes to 12 mpg or less sometimes. Am I missing something here? Or do I just have the high dollar solutions to fall back on? Supercharger, V8 swap etc. I'm running stock tires and only bolt on accessories, winch, bumpers, tire carrier and so on. Any ideas?
Old 05-08-2016, 05:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Keep overdrive off under 50 mph, and off all the time when towing.
If you let the computer decide when to drop out of overdrive, it will wait too long. Then it will have to drop into 2nd to keep up, which means the rpm will be very high.

That's the best you can do for free. The 3.8L JK doesn't like hills, and it doesn't like towing.

Have you considered regearing the axles?
Old 05-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It sounds like you've also got some weight, they're not terribly fond of that either.

What axle ratios do you have, that could be your culprit as Ron is suggesting above.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
It sounds like you've also got some weight, they're not terribly fond of that either.

What axle ratios do you have, that could be your culprit as Ron is suggesting above.
Its a stock Rubicon and I think they are 4.10 if I remember the sticker correctly. I forgot it also has the K&N cold air filter system

Last edited by paintm4u; 05-08-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never been too fond of the Chrysler 3.8L minivan engine, as I call it. I have a manual, but found myself downshifting after I started adding weight or had anything behind me. You'll eventually get used to it...what did you drive previously? I.e. what are you comparing it to cuz this engine doesn't have balz...however, it's damn good for crawling in 4low if you're stock.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trade it in for a 3.6.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paintm4u
OK I'm new to the JK jeep and I have a 2011 but whats with this anemic 3.8 V6? I can't even go up a small hill , thats all we have here in Kansas, without downshifting 2 gears (automatic). When I pull my small expedition style teardrop trailer I don't even get to top gear and the mileage goes to 12 mpg or less sometimes. Am I missing something here? Or do I just have the high dollar solutions to fall back on? Supercharger, V8 swap etc. I'm running stock tires and only bolt on accessories, winch, bumpers, tire carrier and so on. Any ideas?
Yeah you're missing a whole bunch of research you should have done before purchasing it!!!!
What gears are you running?
Old 05-09-2016, 06:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

I have no experience with the 3.8. I can tell you that the 3.6 in the 2012 and later has plenty of power and I've successfully towed a 5000 pound box. Also as others have said, gearing is another important consideration as is the use, or non use of overdrive.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cheemsaf
I've never been too fond of the Chrysler 3.8L minivan engine, as I call it. I have a manual, but found myself downshifting after I started adding weight or had anything behind me. You'll eventually get used to it...what did you drive previously? I.e. what are you comparing it to cuz this engine doesn't have balz...however, it's damn good for crawling in 4low if you're stock.
I'm not comparing it to any vehicle just the specs on the vehicle. It says it should pull a 2000# trailer and it should be able to pull itself up a small hill, I don't think thats asking too much. My trailer only weighs around 1200# so I'm not close to the max 2000# and I do expect some power loss but not enough to cripple it. I probably have some weight added with the bumpers and winch but with the rear seat removed, that thing is heavy, I also took some off. Now as a daily driver I have no complaints its great. I'm retired so I really don't drive it too much but I really wanted something to drive when I go up to Colorado fishing and I ran across this, very low miles, super clean and all the add ons I could want and a great price, quick decision I bought it. NO I didn't do any research on it other than see a gillion jeeps on the road and the reputation of Jeep itself. Everyone I've known that has had one loved them so, no I didn't research it. Don't get me wrong I do love driving it and what it can do when needed, like cheemsaf said it does a great job in low range as I had to use it last summer to get to a camping area at high altitude, it crawled right up there even with the trailer. Just looking to improve the going down the hiway performance, am I asking too much? maybe so I don't know.
What makes the 3.6 better than the 3.8? Should I just trade it off and go to the 3.6 or, Magnason makes a nice supercharger kit for the 3.8, anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth the 6 Grand price tag? Or should I just grin and bear it and head down the road with my foot on the floor? I can do that. Thanks for all the replies.
I just checked it does have the 4.10 gears.

Last edited by paintm4u; 05-09-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

The 3.6 has like 40% more horsepower and torque along with about 10% better gas mileage compared to the 3.8. If I were you and had $6K to spend, I would trade the 2011 in on a new jeep and put the $6K as a down payment.