Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

3.21 gearing okay for bigger tires?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
Just saw this thread, usually dont hang out in stock section ever. I have 34 inch Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar which measure about 34.2 inchs in diameter so they are as big as some of the smaller advertised 35s out there. I also have 3.21s with 6 speed. It isnt that bad on the road, u have to run in 4th and 5th gear a lot on the highway and when u r not on highway u spend all ur time in 4th or lower gear. 6th gear is no longer usealbe. Off road, it can be a challenge to go slow enough over rocks when rock crawling, but not impossible. It is livable while u save for gears. I plan on regrear but by the time I have enough cash it will be almost a year with stock gears. I would stay away from 33s and would just get the 35s. u will not be happy with 33s. The only people who defend 33s r people who bought them and r stuck with them. I have never heard ANYONE say, i hate my 35s, i want 33s. The opposite is quite common though.
same here as olean. i got 35's with 3.21's
Old 10-08-2010, 01:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
... The only people who defend 33s r people who bought them and r stuck with them. I have never heard ANYONE say, i hate my 35s, i want 33s. The opposite is quite common though.
Despite spending three and one-half years on JK-Forum reading posts such as this one that profess that those of us with 33s really do hate them, and despite the fact that I've kept up with plenty of folks off-road who run 35s (and even 37s) on some pretty tough trails (four times to Moab, three to Disney, and various other off-roading trips), I am still not convince that I need 35s for my Jeep.

I have over 50K miles on my 33s, and plan to replace them early next year. The most critical factor for me, as I said earlier in this thread, is gas mileage. I've driven with folks who have 35s and can tell you that there are serious negatives: One had to routinely stop for gas when I still had a half tank--on two different trips to Moab. Another could not keep up with me on a 75-MPH speed limit road--I had to slow down to 70-MPH.

So, it's a myth that 35s are better than sliced bread and 33s can't off-road. I may go to 35s, but I'm very concerned about gas mileage and, since my interest is more long trip where there is no civilization for support, reliability. The added stress of 35s is a very real issue for me, and for many who are like me. And I have yet to see where 35s proved to be an advantage--other than looks.

I may be a voice of one, but I can say categorically that your statement that "The only people who defend 33s r people who bought them and r stuck with them" is wrong. I'm not stuck with them--I keep them by choice.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Despite spending three and one-half years on JK-Forum reading posts such as this one that profess that those of us with 33s really do hate them, and despite the fact that I've kept up with plenty of folks off-road who run 35s (and even 37s) on some pretty tough trails (four times to Moab, three to Disney, and various other off-roading trips), I am still not convince that I need 35s for my Jeep.

I have over 50K miles on my 33s, and plan to replace them early next year. The most critical factor for me, as I said earlier in this thread, is gas mileage. I've driven with folks who have 35s and can tell you that there are serious negatives: One had to routinely stop for gas when I still had a half tank--on two different trips to Moab. Another could not keep up with me on a 75-MPH speed limit road--I had to slow down to 70-MPH.

So, it's a myth that 35s are better than sliced bread and 33s can't off-road. I may go to 35s, but I'm very concerned about gas mileage and, since my interest is more long trip where there is no civilization for support, reliability. The added stress of 35s is a very real issue for me, and for many who are like me. And I have yet to see where 35s proved to be an advantage--other than looks.

I may be a voice of one, but I can say categorically that your statement that "The only people who defend 33s r people who bought them and r stuck with them" is wrong. I'm not stuck with them--I keep them by choice.
Agreed. I'm certainly not stuck with my 33" Duratracs, I could go buy a set of 35's of some sort right now without batting an eyelash. Like you I dont feel I need 35's to offroad, gas mileage plays a factor and I like how my JK looks with the 33" Duratracs I dont want or need 35's.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
...I am still not convince that I need 35s for my Jeep
Voice of two! I couldn't agree more. Of course everything depends on the application: how much daily driver, how much offroad, etc... but if it weren't for the fact that I'm so happy with 32's on my 4.10 right now in a mostly daily driver application, some trailer towing, with desire to get feet wet in some mild offroading, I'd go for 33's and stay there in a heartbeat. Not a 34 or 35.

Most of us probably agree that looks/aesthetics can be as important as function, so tire size depends on proportions & lift... but for a 2-3" lift, 33 seems to do well for a combination of looks & function (yes, subjective), daily driving and offroading.

Everything is a tradeoff. Bigger stuff, more fun, better offroad, more stress on the driveline, lower fuel efficiency, more $ to compensate, etc... It all comes down to your application and desires.

Personally I think 33's are da bomb. But I find a somewhat aggressive 32 is well matched to my setup and needs, and I have absolutely no desire to change it any time soon. Though I reserve the right to change my mind

Last edited by mostlystock; 10-08-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.21 gearing okay for bigger tires?